MD 4.0/516/URM Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(asking for a friend who does not frequent SDN)
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (132/123/131/131)
Demographics: URM - Hispanic
Residence: SD
Clinical Experience:
150 hours of working at Native American clinic (on reservation)
Will be getting a NA position or scribe for this summer (full-time so 400 hours)
Volunteer Experience:
300 hours of working on reservation shelters, soup kitchens, and building affordable housing
Research Experience:
1000 hours of working with genetic research - 1 poster presentation

I gave him a list of possible schools but I don't know how much a 123 in CARS is going to affect his chances at top tier schools.

UCSF
Harvard
Stanford
Duke
UCLA
Baylor
Emory
Case Western
Colorado
U of Iowa
U of Utah
Medical College of Wisconsin
U of MN
U of Kansas
Creighton
USD (only state school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(asking for a friend who does not frequent SDN)
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (132/123/131/131)
Demographics: URM - Hispanic
Residence: SD
Clinical Experience:
150 hours of working at Native American clinic (on reservation)
Will be getting a NA position or scribe for this summer (full-time so 400 hours)
Volunteer Experience:
300 hours of working on reservation shelters, soup kitchens, and building affordable housing
Research Experience:
1000 hours of working with genetic research - 1 poster presentation

I gave him a list of possible schools but I don't know how much a 123 in CARS is going to affect his chances at top tier schools.

UCSF
Harvard
Stanford
Duke
UCLA
Baylor
Emory
Case Western
Colorado
U of Iowa
U of Utah
Medical College of Wisconsin
U of MN
U of Kansas
Creighton
USD (only state school)
Your friend may actually want to retake. MANY schools will use 124 section score as a screen pre/post secondary. Maybe an ADCOM could chime in on that aspect but just an FYI through the grapevine.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools:
South Dakota
U Minnesota
U Iowa
Creighton
Kaiser
California University
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Mayo Arizona
USC
Miami
Duke
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Boston University
Tufts
Loyola

Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless tag of the almighty @Goro on any feedback about this student's situation. Will a 123 set him back from the higher-tier schools?

It IS indeed a big gamble. Is English this individual's first language? Retaking might only be worth it if OP is consistently scoring 520+ on AAMC practice tests with 127 or better in CARS. A 517 retake is usually not recommended, but this could be an exception.

Thanks for the responses. This guy uses English as primary language. It's a tough decision for him because he was averaging 510-512 on practice exams and doesn't feel like he could pull that score a second time.

If he doesn't feel that he could do better on a retake, then it isn't a good idea; if he gets a 128 in CARS and 128s across the board, that's not helpful!