4.0 cGPA/ 4.0 sGPA / 39 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juice Loosener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going into my Senior year and sending in my app soon, what do you guys think?

Here are my numbers:

4.0 cGPA
4.0 sGPA
39 MCAT (15 PS/ 9 VR/ 15 BS)

I know that my verbal score is low and will probably hurt me.

Here are my ECs:

Molecular Biology research (2 years) (Have a summer fellowship)
Clinical research (1 summer)
ACT and GRE Teacher/Tutor at The Princeton Review (3.5 years)
Bunch of Academic Awards and Honors
Nursing Home Volunteering (80 hours/Two Summers)
Hospital Volunteering (80 hours/2 Hospitals)
Shadowing Doctors (9 doctors, 6 specialties) (80 hours)
Alternative Spring Break in the Dominican Republic
Mentor for Big Brothers, Big Sisters (40 hours)
E-board for AED (1 year)
Recreational Weightlifting and cardio, but besides that no real talents or hobbies
Fraternity

My volunteering is scattered amongst different hospitals and isn't particularly consistent.

Would my chances be slim at the top schools, am I a mediclone?

Members don't see this ad.

Top schools will be definitely in reach. Just have a good reason why your volunteering is scattered.

I know verbal is emphasized highly, but does anyone know which schools very highly emphasize it and which schools not so much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you even post this? The whole process of getting into med school is stressful enough for kids have to worry about someone with a 4.0 and 39 worrying about it as well.

Why would you even post this? The whole process of getting into med school is stressful enough for kids have to worry about someone with a 4.0 and 39 worrying about it as well.

:laugh: Funny but true. But hey man, everyone's got dreams and ambitions that seem challenging to attain at times.

Just apply to enough places. look at NickNaylor's MDApps... it has a lot of good tips.

You might as well forget MD and DO. Maybe Caribbean if you are lucky.

I'm not trying to bother anyone, I'm worried because of all the crap I see on MDapplicants.com

What do you guys think about my extracurrics?

Thanks!

Why is this even a question...

I'm not trying to bother anyone, I'm worried because of all the crap I see on MDapplicants.com

What do you guys think about my extracurrics?

Thanks!

MDApps can be very misleading, because of the fact that so few people contribute to it. The stats are very skewed. For every stellar student with 4.0/39 MCAT that saved a small country, there is a 3.8/27 Caucasian with some volunteering and research getting accepted that you'll never know about. I've always thought that many of the SDN/MDApplicants users represent the top 10% of all pre-meds (aka, the most neurotic of the most neurotic members of your university). MDApps is helpful, surely, but there is more than meets the eye. You're in really good shape man, anybody here would kill for your application.

MDApps can be very misleading, because of the fact that so few people contribute to it. The stats are very skewed. For every stellar student with 4.0/39 MCAT that saved a small country, there is a 3.8/27 Caucasian with some volunteering and research getting accepted that you'll never know about. I've always thought that many of the SDN/MDApplicants users represent the top 10% of all pre-meds (aka, the most neurotic of the most neurotic members of your university). MDApps is helpful, surely, but there is more than meets the eye. You're in really good shape man, anybody here would kill for your application.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :smuggrin:

Now, is there any way to go straight to a thread you posted in, or do you have to always re-search for it? I'm new.

39 with a 4.0? Hmmm..... Get some sunscreen and get ready for the Caribbean!

39 with a 4.0? Hmmm..... Get some sunscreen and get ready for the Caribbean!

Hahaha, yeah... Ross and SGU are in sight.

No but in all seriousness. To the OP... get off MDapplicants. Submit your stuff, go out and live a little.

You've got the rest of your life to worry. Don't start now. :luck:

Reactions: 1 user