4.0 GPA/523+ MCAT but severe trimethylaminuria odor condition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawaybo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have strong stats, am a PhD in pharmacology candidate at an elite university, and have very, very good ECs (being intentionally vague), but I have trimethylaminuria, which is a severely limiting, rare, body odor condition that has no known cure and rather ineffective treatment options. I have wanted to be a doctor since I was younger, but I don't know how I'm going to get in anywhere due to my very severe odor problem. I smell like feces, basically, and OCD-like hygiene and looks aren't an issue. What are my chances? Are there any schools out there that might take me in spite of this awful condition? I have an interest in endocrinology, and my hope is to become a researcher or professor to focus on drug development for those with rare conditions like mine. Please help me. Thank you very much.

@LizzyM @Catalystik @Goro @NickNaylor

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a worry that even your story were plastered all over your essays, that if you step into the interview room, it might very well end your career before it starts. In all honesty, I'd have to interview you.

You don't need an MD or DO degree to do this. Get a PhD.

I have an interest in endocrinology, and my hope is to become a researcher or professor to focus on drug development for those with rare conditions like mine. Please help me. Thank you very much.

Did you see this?

Treatment
There is no known cure or treatment for the disorder. People affected by the disorder live relatively normal lives by managing their symptoms and with counseling. When the condition is suspected or known to occur in a family, genetic testing can be helpful in identifying the specific individuals who have or carry the disorder.

Ways of reducing the fishy odor may include:

Additionally, at least one study[9] has suggested that daily intake of the supplements activated charcoal and copper chlorophyllin may improve the quality of life of individuals afflicted with TMAU by helping their bodies to oxidize and convert TMA to the odorless N-oxide (TMAO) metabolite. Study participants experienced subjective reduction in odor as well as objective reduction in TMA and increase in TMAO concentration measured in their urine. The study found that:

• 85% of test participants experienced complete loss of detectable "fishy" odor
  • 10% experienced some reduction in detectable odor
  • 5% did not experience any detectable odor reduction

Id say triethylamine smells more like rotten fish than feces if you ask me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro, thank you so much for your helpful suggestions. I was sort of slacking on following the diet due to my love of sushi, but I will get back on it and hopefully, God willing, it'll be gone before next season. Back to low choline it is, haha.

@7331poas, generally, when people don't know something, they don't speak or attempt to bully/annoy/challenge others with their ignorance. TMA can have a range of smells, including but not limited to, burnt rubber, feces (like someone didn't wash), dead fish, etc. As well, when symptoms of TMAU are comorbid with halitosis or periodontic problems, the dry mouth and volatile sulfur compounds in the mouth lead to a feces-like smell. Of course, you'd know this if you actually read the literature before talking without speaking. You might want to work on your attitude, because it's worse than my rank BO. Good luck to you, because even if you get in and I don't, I know you'll get screwed over when you fail miserably at rotation pimping.

@Goro, thank you so much for your helpful recommendations. I was slacking big-time on the low choline diet and protocol due to my love of sushi and filet mignon, but I completely see what you mean and will get back on it. With any luck from God, I'll try to aim to be odor-free via the diet and protocol by interview season next year. If, for some reason, I can't get the odor under control, I'll just stick with my lab and hope for the best. Thanks again.

@7331poas, generally, when people don't know something, they don't speak or attempt to bully/annoy/challenge others with their ignorance. TMA can have a range of smells, including but not limited to, burnt rubber, feces (like someone didn't wash), dead fish, etc. As well, when symptoms of TMAU are comorbid with halitosis or periodontic problems, the dry mouth and volatile sulfur compounds in the mouth lead to a feces-like smell. Of course, you'd know this if you actually read the literature before talking without speaking. You might want to work on your attitude, because it's worse than my rank BO. Good luck to you, because even if you get in and I don't, I know you'll get screwed over when you fail miserably at rotation pimping.

Woah there buddy. Your condition may have any variety of smells. but triethylamine definitely smells like rotten fish. I use it daily in the lab. I was half making a light hearted comment.

@7331poas Don't try to use sarcasm with me, bro. Try performing at optimal levels before you try to roll with and punch the big boys in the sandbox. :)

As well, can you explain to me how your "light-hearted" comment was anything other than trolling and an ad hominem attack on me? I have a serious health condition and was hoping to get advice from actual admissions committees, not premeds who have never sat on an admission committee and don't know what they're talking about. I happen to work in a pharmacology lab myself, dealing with the compound. The question was not how does the compound smell in isolation, it is how does it smell when its derivative is secreted in gas form by my body when I am a very, very strong applicant who has worked tirelessly for years to make myself as strong as possible on paper.

In fact, your comment is concerning not only because it violates the terms of service of SDN, but also because it indicates that you're an unempathetic person. Try getting stats like mine and going through the hurdles, stares, and snide comments I've had to overcome before you say stuff like that "in jest." And, actually, you'll have to, seeing as Step 2 incorporates modules on empathy. Hopefully people like you get weeded out, because the reason so many TMAU patients commit suicide is because of terrible doctors who fail to empathize with their patients. If, by some miracle, I can get my odor under control and get through interviews and rotations, you better believe I won't make my patients feel like garbage about any condition they have.

A huge part of being a physician is being empathetic and having excellent bedside manner--and studies have shown that empathy is evident even in teenage years. There are already enough sociopaths in the world, and it disturbs me that there continue to be heartless, cruel sociopaths in medicine who hide their wolf nature behind smiles and carefully constructed, abusive language and only reveal it when, say, they rape patients or violate ethical standards because they can or "it was just a joke."

Last edited:
I read his post, and my advice is to chill.

@7331poas Don't try to use sarcasm with me, bro. Try performing at optimal levels before you try to roll with and punch the big boys in the sandbox. :)

As well, can you explain to me how your "light-hearted" comment was anything other than trolling and an ad hominem attack on me? I have a serious health condition and was hoping to get advice from actual admissions committees, not premeds who have never sat on an admission committee and don't know what they're talking about. I happen to work in a pharmacology lab myself, dealing with the compound. The question was not how does the compound smell in isolation, it is how does it smell when its derivative is secreted in gas form by my body when I am a very, very strong applicant who has worked tirelessly for years to make myself as strong as possible on paper.

In fact, your comment is concerning not only because it violates the terms of service of SDN, but also because it indicates that you're an unempathetic person. Try getting stats like mine and going through the hurdles, stares, and snide comments I've had to overcome before you say stuff like that "in jest." And, actually, you'll have to, seeing as Step 2 incorporates modules on empathy. Hopefully people like you get weeded out, because the reason so many TMAU patients commit suicide is because of terrible doctors who fail to empathize with their patients. If, by some miracle, I can get my odor under control and get through interviews and rotations, you better believe I won't make my patients feel like garbage about any condition they have.

A huge part of being a physician is being empathetic and having excellent bedside manner--and studies have shown that empathy is evident even in teenage years. There are already enough sociopaths in the world, and it disturbs me that there continue to be heartless, cruel sociopaths in medicine who hide their wolf nature behind smiles and carefully constructed, abusive language and only reveal it when, say, they rape patients or violate ethical standards because they can or "it was just a joke."

Reactions: 11 users
I'm sure you have had to overcome a lot, OP, but you will need to develop a thicker hide if you aspire to medicine. It is a world full of overworked, snarky people with a superiority complex, and you will be eaten alive if you react to anything like you did 7331poas' comment - comment which definitely did not appear sarcastic, condescending or like a bullying attempt to me. You are the one who's out of line.

Take a deep breath and relax.

Reactions: 8 users

IMO, this attitude will hurt you worst during the admissions process than your BO. I think that if you complained and use this type of verbiage to even the most empathetic of doctors they would tell you to get over yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread escalated quickly

Reactions: 3 users
I suspect this poster is actually a current med student or resident pranking us.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO, "Id say triethylamine smells more like rotten fish than feces if you ask me" is definitely not a lighthearted comment. It gives off a vibe of a know-it-all...the comment was totally unnecessary/inappropriate.

Reactions: 1 users
IMHO, "Id say triethylamine smells more like rotten fish than feces if you ask me" is definitely not a lighthearted comment. It gives off a vibe of a know-it-all...the comment was totally unnecessary/inappropriate.
+1

If I were to mention myself multiple times in the same sentence then my message may give me different types of responses to my overall tone, compared to me just saying that I think it smells like fish, if people asked me.

But they didn't.

You should probably learn to not overreact to basically nothing, and at least try to consider other motivations, rather than automatically assuming that you were being attacked. I wouldn't want to be your patient and say something "wrong" to you.