4+4 year program vs. 2+4 year program..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungjh9001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm not sure which program is better choice for me..

is it better to get baccalaureate degree in chemistry first and apply to pharmacy school later or go to the school that has 6 year pharmacy program..

I think the college that I want to get my BS in chemistry has a good chemistry program but they don't have pharmacy school..
and the college that has 6 year pharmacy school has a good pharmacy program but I don't think their undergraduate program is good..

if I go for 4+4 then I have to live in a school dorm for first 4 years to get my BS in chemistry.. and then transfer to the college that has 6 year program and commute from home..

for 6+2.. I can commute or live in dorm.. it's the same school that I want to transfer if I go for 4+4..

and do you have to take a lot of physics classes?? (for both BS chemisty and Pharmacy school)

phuang06

VCU - Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which program is better choice for me..

is it better to get baccalaureate degree in chemistry first and apply to pharmacy school later or go to the school that has 6 year pharmacy program..

I think the college that I want to get my BS in chemistry has a good chemistry program but they don't have pharmacy school..
and the college that has 6 year pharmacy school has a good pharmacy program but I don't think their undergraduate program is good..

if I go for 4+4 then I have to live in a school dorm for first 4 years to get my BS in chemistry.. and then transfer to the college that has 6 year program and commute from home..

for 6+2.. I can commute or live in dorm.. it's the same school that I want to transfer if I go for 4+4..

and do you have to take a lot of physics classes?? (for both BS chemisty and Pharmacy school)

If you can get into 0-6 pharmacy school then why don't you? Once you get your PharmD degree, you probably won't use a BS in chemistry anyway.

The undergrad at the pharmacy school doesn't really matter since you're only going to be there for 2 years doing pre-reqs.

As for physics, it's a pre-reqs so you'll probably have to take 1 year (2 semesters worth of it) for either.

Allure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If being a pharmacist is what you want to be in the end, I'd recommend going to a 0+6 school because you wouldn't have to worry later about the whole application process, getting LORs, work experience, PCAT (although some0+6 programs require you to take the PCAT anyway), etc..etc..Even if after 2 years, you find yourself not wanting to do pharmacy, you can always transfer to the other school and get a BS in Chemistry since the major courses don't generally start until your 3rd year anyway.