4 Cs in pre med requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desperateformedschool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in high school i got a C in physics (im going to retake this class), freshman year i got a C in calc 1, a C+ in bio 1, and a C+ in orgo 1, but for gen chem 1 i got a B+ and gen chem 2 i got an A (chem labs were both A+). im in my sophomore year of college now and i was just wondering if i should still continue in the pre med track (i have a 2.93sGPA) if i get all As throughout the years, i can get a maximum of 3.55scGPA-3.65 or even 3.7scGPA). i really need help because i cant think of anything else to do other than be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine as long as your overall cGPA and sGPA are up to par.

So you're going into your sophomore year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly man, if your rationale for going into medicine is "honestly I can't think of anything else to do other than be a doctor" you may want to further research the profession and some others as well. The pathway to becoming a physician is without question rigorous and there are definitely other professions that can be equally rewarding.

Just make sure it's right for you I guess. Volunteer at a clinic, shadow a physician, get a taste for non-medicine related work and see what sparks your interest. If ultimately you decide it's what you want, bust your ass over the next few years, change your study habits, and find what works for you.

Honestly man, if your rationale for going into medicine is "honestly I can't think of anything else to do other than be a doctor" you may want to further research the profession and some others as well. The pathway to becoming a physician is without question rigorous and there are definitely other professions that can be equally rewarding.

Just make sure it's right for you I guess. Volunteer at a clinic, shadow a physician, get a taste for non-medicine related work and see what sparks your interest. If ultimately you decide it's what you want, bust your ass over the next few years, change your study habits, and find what works for you.
I volunteered at a pediatric clinic and I fell in love with it, especially with in-patient settings. I'm just wondering if there are medical schools that would accept a 3.6-3.7 science gpa because of all these other applicants or if i should do an SMP.

I volunteered at a pediatric clinic and I fell in love with it, especially with in-patient settings. I'm just wondering if there are medical schools that would accept a 3.6-3.7 science gpa because of all these other applicants or if i should do an SMP.

In that case I'll go ahead and say yes. @Goro has stated on countless occasions that there are a few medical schools that award reinvention so if you change your habits and show that you can succeed academically then there's hope. I have tagged Goro for clarification but that's my $0.02

Reactions: 1 user
So in high school i got a C in physics (im going to retake this class), freshman year i got a C in calc 1, a C+ in bio 1, and a C+ in orgo 1, but for gen chem 1 i got a B+ and gen chem 2 i got an A (chem labs were both A+). im in my sophomore year of college now and i was just wondering if i should still continue in the pre med track (i have a 2.93sGPA) if i get all As throughout the years, i can get a maximum of 3.55scGPA-3.65 or even 3.7scGPA). i really need help because i cant think of anything else to do other than be a doctor.
You need to get A's from now on. Rising GPA trends do get rewarded.

Doing well on MCAT is also required.

You need to get A's from now on. Rising GPA trends do get rewarded.

Doing well on MCAT is also required.
oh also, because of the C from physics in high school, does the AMCAS still weigh heavily on that grade or a bit less because it was taken in high school?

I heard that some med schools will recalculate your GPA w/o freshman year and then with it. Idk if that was literal or just to show that even some of the top schools really love reinvention/ know that starting college is hard. There was a school that does that i think it was Cornell but I am not sure.
Also " a 3.6 won't keep you outta any school in the country" XD