• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

4 Cs in pre med requisites

Jul 17, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    So in high school i got a C in physics (im going to retake this class), freshman year i got a C in calc 1, a C+ in bio 1, and a C+ in orgo 1, but for gen chem 1 i got a B+ and gen chem 2 i got an A (chem labs were both A+). im in my sophomore year of college now and i was just wondering if i should still continue in the pre med track (i have a 2.93sGPA) if i get all As throughout the years, i can get a maximum of 3.55scGPA-3.65 or even 3.7scGPA). i really need help because i cant think of anything else to do other than be a doctor.

About the Ads

morejedi

2+ Year Member
    Mar 9, 2017
    1. Medical Student (Accepted)
      Honestly man, if your rationale for going into medicine is "honestly I can't think of anything else to do other than be a doctor" you may want to further research the profession and some others as well. The pathway to becoming a physician is without question rigorous and there are definitely other professions that can be equally rewarding.

Just make sure it's right for you I guess. Volunteer at a clinic, shadow a physician, get a taste for non-medicine related work and see what sparks your interest. If ultimately you decide it's what you want, bust your ass over the next few years, change your study habits, and find what works for you.

Jul 17, 2017
      1. Pre-Medical
        Honestly man, if your rationale for going into medicine is "honestly I can't think of anything else to do other than be a doctor" you may want to further research the profession and some others as well. The pathway to becoming a physician is without question rigorous and there are definitely other professions that can be equally rewarding.

Just make sure it's right for you I guess. Volunteer at a clinic, shadow a physician, get a taste for non-medicine related work and see what sparks your interest. If ultimately you decide it's what you want, bust your ass over the next few years, change your study habits, and find what works for you.
        I volunteered at a pediatric clinic and I fell in love with it, especially with in-patient settings. I'm just wondering if there are medical schools that would accept a 3.6-3.7 science gpa because of all these other applicants or if i should do an SMP.

morejedi

2+ Year Member
        Mar 9, 2017
        1. Medical Student (Accepted)
          I volunteered at a pediatric clinic and I fell in love with it, especially with in-patient settings. I'm just wondering if there are medical schools that would accept a 3.6-3.7 science gpa because of all these other applicants or if i should do an SMP.

In that case I'll go ahead and say yes. @Goro has stated on countless occasions that there are a few medical schools that award reinvention so if you change your habits and show that you can succeed academically then there's hope. I have tagged Goro for clarification but that's my $0.02

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Jun 11, 2010
          Somewhere west of St. Louis
          1. Non-Student
            So in high school i got a C in physics (im going to retake this class), freshman year i got a C in calc 1, a C+ in bio 1, and a C+ in orgo 1, but for gen chem 1 i got a B+ and gen chem 2 i got an A (chem labs were both A+). im in my sophomore year of college now and i was just wondering if i should still continue in the pre med track (i have a 2.93sGPA) if i get all As throughout the years, i can get a maximum of 3.55scGPA-3.65 or even 3.7scGPA). i really need help because i cant think of anything else to do other than be a doctor.
            You need to get A's from now on. Rising GPA trends do get rewarded.

Doing well on MCAT is also required.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
            2+ Year Member
            Jan 5, 2017
            1. Medical Student
              I heard that some med schools will recalculate your GPA w/o freshman year and then with it. Idk if that was literal or just to show that even some of the top schools really love reinvention/ know that starting college is hard. There was a school that does that i think it was Cornell but I am not sure.
              Also " a 3.6 won't keep you outta any school in the country" XD

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.