4 Current PCOM students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I interviewed at PCOM in January and am waiting on decisions. In the interim, I wanted to know what classes one can test out of b/f starting in August. During the tour, the MS2's higly recommended waiving out of histology if we've taken it b/f in the past. I think there is some CD-rom that you guys use for the practical part. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some more info on that and any another classes that are waivable. Im trying to make M1 year as easy as possible...:)

I did a one-year graduate Physiology program so Ive taken the following classes:

Mammalian Physiology
Histology
Biochemistry
Cell Physiology
Molecular Biology
Pharmacology

Ok, interested in any replies. Take care and hope to join you guys this August!

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad.

To clarify what my classmates have told you....you can only test out of the practical portion of Histology. I highly recommend doing so if you are confident. It will save you some time if you do test out.

Other than that, plan on taking all of the other required courses.

This will be your only chance to make year one "easier". Believe me, even if you test out of Histology, MS1 will not be easy.

The only thing you will gain is that three hours a week while your classmates will have Histo. lab you will not.

Being that you have taken some graduate courses, it will give you a "leg up" on those who have never had the subjects as in depth.

My best advice is to be prepared for the volume of information that will come at you, not necessarily the difficulty of the information.

Hope this helps. Good luck next year.

Chisel
PCOM 2006

If you want to brush up on your Histo before you come, spend a little time with "Histology Time" on CD by Stephen Downing, PhD. (Not too much time- enjoy your summer!!)
That is what pretty much all of us used to study for lab tests. You definately want to try and pass out of lab with, as high a score as possible, of course. This should be all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Jay23
If you want to brush up on your Histo before you come, spend a little time with "Histology Time" on CD by Stephen Downing, PhD. (Not too much time- enjoy your summer!!)
That is what pretty much all of us used to study for lab tests. You definately want to try and pass out of lab with, as high a score as possible, of course. This should be all you need.

Great info. Are there any other special study aids that us future PCOM students should keep an eye out for?
There's so much out there-- I wonder which resources are considered gold standards...

Personally, I decided NOT to pass out of the histology class, took it, got an A, and boosted my GPA.

But you can certainly pass out of it if you have had a good histology course in the past.

Other than that, there is really nothing you can do to prepare for medical school except save your money and your brain cells.