1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

4-day work weeks?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by HenryH, Mar 4, 2007.

1. HenryH

HenryH AA-S
    Removed Account on Hold 10+ Year Member

As a pharmacist, can you choose to work (with a retail location) four days/week with regular 8-hour shifts?

It seems like pharmacists have plenty of scheduling flexibility. Would it be possible to negotiate a work week like this?:

8 hours/day Mon.-Thurs; then, one ( 8-hour) day of floating on Fri., Sat., or Sun.

Would the chains (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) even go for a 4-day week, though?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I believe it depends on the head pharmacist's choice of scheduling. At the current pharmacy that I work at, it's alternating days(12 hr shifts) and alternating weekends. On your weekend off you can pick up ot hours at other stores and there are always hours available for you if you're willing to pick them up. At another store, they have two days on, two days off(12 hr). A colleague of mine works a 10 hr shift 5 days(at a 24 hr store) in a row and has 2 off. I'm not sure if its negotiable since most places have had the set routine for quite some time.

4. SELDANE

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yes, I know several pharmacists that work only 32 hours per week. In doing only 32 hours they are still able to maintain their benefits. (ie., health insurance, 401k, etc...). Most retail chains are open to this abbreviated work week.

5. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Most of the pharmacists in my area that work this type of schedule are considered "relief" pharmacists - in other words, they provide the "off days" for two or three stores each week. If you don't mind not having your own "home" store, I think the schedule is doable.

6. HenryH

HenryH AA-S

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Are relief pharmacists paid the same as regular-shift pharmacists? I'm curious about this...how would my work-week go? Would I negotiate with a particular chain? For example, on Monday, I would work from 8 a.m. -- 4 p.m. at the Walgreens on Elm Street; on Tuesday, I would work the same hours at the Walgreens on 567th Street; on Wednesday, I might choose to come in from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. at yet another location; and so on.

Is there any extra incentive for doing this (besides working only 4 days/week)? Is the pay the same?

Thanks...

7. penguins429

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The pharmacy where I'm at right now is only open from 9-6:30 (no weekends), so the pharmacists all work a 9-5:30 shift (with one 10-6:30 each week). It equals a full 40-hour work week, but everyone seem to like the no nights/no weekends deal ...

8. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

As far as I know (for the WAGs in my area anyway), there's not really any monetary incentive for being a relief pharmacist - I suppose the perk is that you only work 32 hours and still qualify for full benefits. The way they work it here is the pharmacy manager and staff pharmacist usually work 6 days one week and 4 days the next and they alternate off days each week. The relief/floater pharmacist would cover the same 2 off days at that store every week then pick up 2 other off days at another store to make his/her 32 hours. This is assuming a non-24 hour store, though (the floaters at a 24 hour store usually work 4 days at the same store each week because of the extended weekend hours).

Does that make sense? If not, I'll PM you with a "mock" schedule so you can see what I'm talking about :)

9. consultantrph

2+ Year Member

If you have a license and a heartbeat anything is open to negotiation with most of the chains and even a lot of hospitals.

10. HenryH

HenryH AA-S

Consultantrph -- I noticed from reading your blog that you're a consultant pharmacist. I'm interested in this, too. What is your typical work day like? Do you work from home and travel around to various hospitals and other care facilities? Also, how does a consultant's compensation compare to a retail pharmacist's salary?

Thanks...

11. Super Glue

Super Glue New Member

If you work retail, anything regarding your schedule is negotiable. I give my district a call every month with the days and hours I want to work that month; every month, I get the exact hours and days I want.

12. terse

terse Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    what city, or area in CA do you work in?