4 IIs, but 3 came in the past 6 weeks... help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dazedandconfused__

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends! This is probably neurotic and I probably just need to go outside and feel the sun on me for 5 minutes. If that's the case, please just tell me to go outside and touch the grass and I would not disagree with you!

I was very lucky to receive an II to UMass back in September. I interviewed in October, then... heard nothing. By thanksgiving, as a reapplicant, I decided to accept what I thought would be another failed application, went through the five stages of grief, and started to study to retake my expiring MCAT. All was well and I'd gotten over it until the new year came and I was suddenly blessed with 3 more IIs (Quinnipiac in mid Jan, Drexel in late Jan, and Hackensack this past week). So- in the span of 6 weeks, I went from having one II that probably will turn into a WL at best to 4 IIs with no definitive A.

I'm not expecting more IIs this late in the cycle and I still haven't completely been sold on the possibility of me actually getting in this year. But! If the internet is a reliable source, with Quinnipiac and Hackensack's relatively high post-II acceptance rates, I can't help but feel more optimistic. My motivation to study for the MCAT is slowly waning as more IIs come in and I'm not sure how I should be feeling right now.

I'd love to know if the three schools I've just received interviews from recently interview for the WL, or whether they take significantly less interviewees as the cycle goes on. My MCAT is still scheduled for May and I'm making slow progress on relearning everything, but I think I just wanted a little more perspective.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I am in a similar boat, in that I literally started restudying for my MCAT for about 3 weeks, registered for it, and then two days later I received two II to instate schools with a 50% and 73% post interview acceptance rate. I recently landed an A to one of those schools because I essentially stopped preparing for the MCAT during that time period, and focused completely on learning the school, mission, and program inside and out and how I could relate those points to my story as an applicant.

EDIT: I totally misread... You already interviewed at these places. I guess at that point I personally would start getting back into the MCAT grind, but these schools should get around pretty quick to you.

You have a great shot, and I would much rather NOT take the MCAT again at all costs - that sucked :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Stop overthinking this! You don't any acceptances, so as of right now you are rejected until you hear positively otherwise. Therefore look forward, keep your eyes on the prize, and go into these interviews prepared and calm.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hang tight. We love to say "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." Come back and let us celebrate with you when it happens. Meanwhile, double down on MCAT prep unless you feel you need to do a bit more interview prep. Stay optimistic!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I am in a similar boat, in that I literally started restudying for my MCAT for about 3 weeks, registered for it, and then two days later I received two II to instate schools with a 50% and 73% post interview acceptance rate. I recently landed an A to one of those schools because I essentially stopped preparing for the MCAT during that time period, and focused completely on learning the school, mission, and program inside and out and how I could relate those points to my story as an applicant.

EDIT: I totally misread... You already interviewed at these places. I guess at that point I personally would start getting back into the MCAT grind, but these schools should get around pretty quick to you.

You have a great shot, and I would much rather NOT take the MCAT again at all costs - that sucked :D
First- CONGRATULATIONS DOCTOR!! so proud of you. Go kill it in med school.

Secondly, thank you! I've already completed Quinnipiac and Drexel, HMSOM is coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed that I get some good news in the next monthish! Definitely will focus on nailing my interview, as well as getting back into the rhythm of MCAT studying!

Stop overthinking this! You don't any acceptances, so as of right now you are rejected until you hear positively otherwise. Therefore look forward, keep your eyes on the prize, and go into these interviews prepared and calm.
Thank you, Goro! This is the mentality I had and the mentality I should return to. What an adrenaline rush that good news should be!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hang tight. We love to say "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." Come back and let us celebrate with you when it happens. Meanwhile, double down on MCAT prep unless you feel you need to do a bit more interview prep. Stay optimistic!
Thank you LizzyM!!! I never thought I'd ever feel optimistic about a medical school cycle but... here we are. Hopefully I'll be able to reply to this thread soon with some good news:)

Hello friends! This is probably neurotic and I probably just need to go outside and feel the sun on me for 5 minutes. If that's the case, please just tell me to go outside and touch the grass and I would not disagree with you!

I was very lucky to receive an II to UMass back in September. I interviewed in October, then... heard nothing. By thanksgiving, as a reapplicant, I decided to accept what I thought would be another failed application, went through the five stages of grief, and started to study to retake my expiring MCAT. All was well and I'd gotten over it until the new year came and I was suddenly blessed with 3 more IIs (Quinnipiac in mid Jan, Drexel in late Jan, and Hackensack this past week). So- in the span of 6 weeks, I went from having one II that probably will turn into a WL at best to 4 IIs with no definitive A.

I'm not expecting more IIs this late in the cycle and I still haven't completely been sold on the possibility of me actually getting in this year. But! If the internet is a reliable source, with Quinnipiac and Hackensack's relatively high post-II acceptance rates, I can't help but feel more optimistic. My motivation to study for the MCAT is slowly waning as more IIs come in and I'm not sure how I should be feeling right now.

I'd love to know if the three schools I've just received interviews from recently interview for the WL, or whether they take significantly less interviewees as the cycle goes on. My MCAT is still scheduled for May and I'm making slow progress on relearning everything, but I think I just wanted a little more perspective.

Thanks so much for your help! :)
Congrats on the interviews, and don't stop studying for the MCAT! You are not yet accepted. Keep you eye on the prize.

Do prep as much as you can for the remaining interview, but also keep that MCAT date (and keep up the prep for it) until you have an acceptance.

Again parallel tracks:

1) Do everything you can to get accepted this cycle including interview prep and attending all interviews until you get accepted.
2) Prepare to reapply. And if a higher MCAT is needed, keep studying until you get that higher score or an acceptance.

I hope you'll get that acceptance very soon, but you don't have it yet.

• Love
Is that saying still true?

Is that saying still true?
The majority of matriculants in the MSQ said they only had 1 interview, so technically it just takes 1. I guess that with waitlist movement, 3 is a decent number, assuming equal probability of acceptance across all schools (which is not accurate).

It's like feed a cold, starve a fever. Or is that feed a fever, starve a cold?

• Love
It happened 🥹 thank you so much for your encouragement. It means the world to me.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users