4 interviews so far...should I keep applying to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at this point I have already received 4 interview invites. I still have 6 schools I am complete at and another 6 secondaries to fill out. My question is - should I keep filling out these secondaries or just leave them and go to these interviews for now?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sell yourself short. Fill out those secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
So at this point I have already received 4 interview invites. I still have 6 schools I am complete at and another 6 secondaries to fill out. My question is - should I keep filling out these secondaries or just leave them and go to these interviews for now?

just fill them out, you might like those other schools better, plus in my mind is more important to pay the extra couple hundred on the secondaries then have to re-apply or freak out later in the season if your interviews didn't go well

You stop going forward the moment you have an acceptance on hand.

you could still apply to more after you've been accepted (although I'd apply to all at once and as early as possible), you might like another school better, but yah I agree, don't stop before you've been accepted

keep applying.... trust me

Where at? What are your stats?

KCOM, AZCOM, LECOM (FL), LECOM (PA)

3.6 GPA, 27 MCAT

Following the advice of this thread I'm going to fill out at least a few more applications. The costs of applying more and wasting that money because I get acceptances elsewhere is less than the cost of not getting any acceptance.

Although with 4 interviews I think at least 2 or 3 of those are probably in the bag.

I wouldn't count anything as a sure thing until you actually have it, and moreso with med school admissions.

I wouldn't count anything as a sure thing until you actually have it, and moreso with med school admissions.

Yeah dude. Not to be a debbie downer or anything...but nothing is in the bag. You have good stats...just saying....don't count you eggs before they hatch (that's the saying right?lol)

Amen to that.

Until you have got an acceptance letter, you better fill out as many secondaries as possible and go to all your interviews.

Admissions to med school keeps on getting more competitive. It would really suck for you to have to reapply because you thought 4 interviews would be enough.

Got 6 DO interviews before Dec, attended and accepted at all 3.

Got 9 MD interviews beginning in February, and I thought I was hot s**t after my DO acceptances and all my MD interviews. Ended up being WLed and rejected by all except 1.

The application process is very humbling. Nothing is certain, so apply as broadly as possible. Don't stop due to overconfidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got 6 DO interviews before Dec, attended and accepted at all 3.

Got 9 MD interviews beginning in February, and I thought I was hot s**t after my DO acceptances and all my MD interviews. Ended up being WLed and rejected by all except 1.

The application process is very humbling. Nothing is certain, so apply as broadly as possible. Don't stop due to overconfidence.

Wow, that is a lot of interviews! 4 acceptances is great. Maybe the MD schools sensed overconfidence.

I'm not being overly pessimistic, but what if you get 6 post-interview rejections. Then what?

I'm not being overly pessimistic, but what if you get 6 post-interview rejections. Then what?

Negative Nancy.

That doesn't even make sense. I think I've heard that applicants have ~50% chance of being accepted at an interview.

Negative Nancy.

That doesn't even make sense. I think I've heard that applicants have ~50% chance of being accepted at an interview.

It's not like they interview you and then flip a coin after to decide if you're accepted or not. It's not unheard of to bomb multiple interviews.

If you go in thinking that the chance of not being accepted with 4 interviews is (1/2)(1/2)(1/2)(1/2) = a 1 in 16 chance of not being accepted anywhere, I would stop and reconsider things.

It's not like they interview you and then flip a coin after to decide if you're accepted or not. It's not unheard of to bomb multiple interviews.

If you go in thinking that the chance of not being accepted with 4 interviews is (1/2)(1/2)(1/2)(1/2) = a 1 in 16 chance of not being accepted anywhere, I would stop and reconsider things.

Maybe you and negative nancy up there can hang out and talk about how things are going to turn out badly for you both and your chances of getting in are really low. Sounds fun.

I'll fill out a few more secondaries because I'm interested in the schools.

Last edited:
I meant to say "What if you post-interview rejections from those 4 (not 6)?" I was trying to imply that you should send in those 6 secondaries anyways as a way to increase your chances so that you can get in. You're not gonna cry are you? :(

I meant to say "What if you post-interview rejections from those 4 (not 6)?" I was trying to imply that you should send in those 6 secondaries anyways as a way to increase your chances so that you can get in. You're not gonna cry are you? :(

Lol.

I realize I didn't even need to make this thread, now that I think about it. I already knew the answer to my question.

OP, I'm kind of in the same boat. I have been getting more interviews than I originally anticipated, but I have started scheduling interviews of schools that I *think* are not my favorites at later dates so if I get accepted by a school I really really want, I can cancel interviews before I buy flights. I guess it depends on if you get an interview at your #1 school early on (for me, at least) But the dilemma is that it's hard to compare schools and know what you want before visiting....ohhh the joy of med school applications