4 PAT problems - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FROGGBUSTER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When people post PAT threads, I wish they wouldn't post the answers so I could do them first without knowing the solution, so I'll post the answers in the second post below, as well as my questions.

89763004.jpg

81786877.jpg

15586253.jpg

94811700.jpg

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Answers:

1. B
2. E
3. C
4. D

My questions:

#1. Why can't it be A? Is it a matter of proportions here, the pentagon being too small? Does the size of the keyhole matter for this section? In other words, will the correct keyhole be exactly the same proportions AND size as the figure? Before, I thought that shape/RELATIVE proportions were all that mattered but now I'm thinking ABSOLUTE sides and lengths matter as well?

#2. Why can't it be B? Same question as #1 actually, is it just because the hole is too small?

#3. Why can't this one be A? I can't see it.

Edit: Doh! Forget #4, the answer is D. Finally saw it. Edited in the answers as well.

Last edited:
#3 can't be A is because it flares out to make a wide base. the base is a square shaped.

I'll edit as I look at hte others.

#1 is a bit dubious in my book. and something I feel you won't see on the exam. Its going to be very obvious if its a size issue.
If B is the correct choice we can see that the base/pilar does not clip the thing. You can imagine that base as like the handle of the object.

Last edited:
I got:

1.B
2.B
3.C
4.C

The trick to #1 is looking at the edges.
And how the heck could #2 be E?! E could have been the answer if the columns were to the left.
#3, I got it by eliminating other answer choices.
and #4, the top hole punch creates a half-hole and doesn't create a hole on the top right corner.

Edit: I guess I was wrong on #4. But I see it now, it does make a hole on the top right corner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got:

1.C
2.B
3.C
4.C

The trick to #1 is looking at the edges.
And how the heck could #2 be E?! E could have been the answer if the columns were to the left.
#3, I got it by eliminating other answer choices.
and #4, the top hole punch creates a half-hole and doesn't create a hole on the top right corner.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. But I see it now, it does make a hole on the top right corner.

My bad about #1, the correct answer is B. I accidentally put C and then edited.

#2 is E if you look at it from the back.

hahaha I swear I meant to put B myself! If you look at the the edges, you'd see that they're not slanted, so that's the key to that one.

1-3.jpg

I think #1 can't be A because there is something missing on the bottom part of the answer?

hahaha I swear I meant to put B myself! If you look at the the edges, you'd see that they're not slanted, so that's the key to that one.

:p

1-3.jpg

I think #1 can't be A because there is something missing on the bottom part of the answer?

But if you look at the correct answer B, it looks like there wouldn't be anything missing. So the only thing I can think of is the absolute lengths of the sides/size of the keyhole.

#2 is E if you look at it from the back.

How could #2 to be E?! If you look at it from the back there would be a gap between the two columns! The only way you'd get E is by looking at it from the left side, but in that case E should be flipped meaning rotate it 180 degrees!

Edit: aaaaaaah, nevermind, I just saw it lol

#3 can't be A is because it flares out to make a wide base. the base is a square shaped.

I'll edit as I look at hte others.

#1 is a bit dubious in my book. and something I feel you won't see on the exam. Its going to be very obvious if its a size issue.
If B is the correct choice we can see that the base/pilar does not clip the thing. You can imagine that base as like the handle of the object.

Are you saying that it's because of the size issue then and that's why the pentagon doesn't work (too small)?

Are you saying that it's because of the size issue then and that's why the pentagon doesn't work (too small)?

that's the only possibility I can see in this case. on my tests when it came down to proportion it was comparing two very similar keyholes. but it was very obvious why it is one and not the other.too short, too thin and the opposite too fat or too tall.

that's the only possibility I can see in this case. on my tests when it came down to proportion it was comparing two very similar keyholes. but it was very obvious why it is one and not the other.too short, too thin and the opposite too fat or too tall.

Can I get your thoughts on #2 (why it can't be B)? Same reason?

If I remember correctly, mine also dealt with a few proportional differences I had to choose from.

But for A, I also see a square-like base right below it.
So I thought it should look like this if it was going from that angle.
1-4.jpg

I also think it won't be this hard.