4 questions for the experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalfinanc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up postbach, finance undergrad, hated corporate world...

3.73 current gpa, all A,A-, B+ in science prereqs so far, but ochem 2 will likely be a C (family troubles + my laziness) so will prob apply with a 3.6 something... previous career was in health care consulting...

1. Should I retake OCHEM if I get a C?

2. Is mid June too late to take the DAT, I know they start taking apps around the first of June...

3. Work as surgical assistant at derm office, will that work against me? Cant find a dental job where i can actually interact with patients/surgeries..

4. Is the Kaplan course worth it? (No Dat destroyer spamming please)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

3.73 current gpa, all A,A-, B+ in science prereqs so far, but ochem 2 will likely be a C (family troubles + my laziness) so will prob apply with a 3.6 something... previous career was in health care consulting...

2. Is mid June too late to take the DAT, I know they start taking apps around the first of June...

3. Work as surgical assistant at derm office, will that work against me? Cant find a dental job where i can actually interact with patients/surgeries..

Thanks guys!

I am not an expert but,
1. I don't really know, but stop being lazy and pull it up to a B-
2. Earlier the better but IMO thats not very late.
3. Better than nothing.
4. well said about destroyer. as for Kaplan, I am taking it right now.
Basically if your the type that can study on your own (you still need books, your old o-chem book will do etc) then you just need need a pencil and paper and all those expensive books are a waste. Kaplan gives you some good tips and gives loads of questions. I don't know what else is out there but if you really need questions then Kaplan is good.
IMO, destroyer's questions are too hard.

GOOD LUCK

I am definately trying to pull it up,
ochem 2 is hard!

Thanks for the post
-P

Members don't see this ad :)
add a 5th question...

1. if I do get a C, will I still have a chance? Will I have to ROCK the DAT? Just want peoples oppinions...

Thanks guys!

1. No.

2. No.

3. It shouldn't. I volunteered at a local clinic and I was fine.

4. No. I do admit the material is good, but 1200? Sheesh...

Thanks guys!
Not an expert.
1. 3.6 is strong enough but you still have the final and maybe 1 more test so hopefully you can bring it up. O Chem as you already know is on the DAT so a better understanding now will help you in the future.
2. Turn in your application early (without DAT scores) and you should be fine taking it in mid June. The scores will get to the schools the same time the application does.
3. Just make sure you do some shadowing in this field.
4. Kaplan yes DAT destroyer yes. I found both invaluable and worth the money. The more resources the better. Destroyer's questions were more like the real thing IMHO (Is that considered spamming)

I took my DAT in on Aug 1, and was still very very fine. First round interviews and acceptances all around. But still, the earlier the better. Put in your essays and LOR and everything else first. DAT scores were mailed out really quickly for me.

I didn't think Kaplan was worth it at all, actually.

Do you have hours shadowing a dentist? You could also go on one of those dental volunteer trips. Fun, rewarding, and resume-building all at the same time.

4. I would take the Kaplan course. I was priveledged enough to come arcoss the complete Kaplan material set from someone who took the course and I studied it all on my own. I also bought many full length practice tests from various online vendors and then took the DAT. At one of my interviews the interviewer asked me why I didnt take the Kaplan course. I was shocked and asked him how he knew that. He explained that my DAT scores and GPA were inconsistent. He also told me that if I had taken the Kaplan course I would have had higher DAT scores.
If one or two points isnt significant enough for you then study on your own, but personally, if I had to do it again I would take the course and then I would know that I did everything I could to get the best score I could.

1. Nah, I didn't do as well in O-chem as I would have liked either(and I'm not some overachiever, I really sucked it up), but when you do your DAT studying, focus on that. I had similar neck of the wood grades in O-chem due to some family issues and laziness, similar stuff, but when I was studying for DATs absolutely went overboard on OC and GC. That way, when a teacher asked me about a class like O-chem that I had an issue with, I could point them in the direction of my DAT score and say, "hey, I had this prob, but I know the material." They'd say "wow, ok." And that was that. The DAT is your chance for redemption. It was for me.

2. Def not. I didn't take mine till late also (you do need some time to study), like August-ish I believe. I was a bit behind in the application process and some schools do have class-management issues (see my past posts for a rant or two on that topic if need be) but you should be ok taking them then. Just make sure to prepare adequately and def submit the rest of the app earlier and then just send in the DAT scores.

3. I think we're like long lost brothers, sans the finance. I also worked in the medical field while applying. I never felt it worked against me, and if I was asked why I said, "Hey, I had an in there and got paid well. What can I say?" More importantly, it can be ammo for you to use as to why you do NOT want to go into medicine (they love that ? in interviews). B/c only by being on both sides of the fence can one really say why they truly wanna go dent.

4. I took Kaplan course, and more importantly, I paid for it myself, with my graduation money. Along with wanting to get into school, the fact that that cash was my money that I could have spent on a nice trip to some sunny far off island, made me want to take advantage of the class and the studying all the much more and I took the whole thing a lot more seriously. It definitely helped me out in the long run. I studied mostly from Kaplan materials, and used Exam Krackers for o-chem and g-chem to supplement for those areas. Old text books were helpful for illustrations here and there and helping go over the finer points of topics. I would also highly suggest taking a practice test timed every day for a week before the real thing. It really gets you in the mode. A bunch of my classmates and I did that strategy and seeing they are my classmates it seems to have worked. Using only that and none of the gimmicky stuff people like to hock on here I dismantled the DAT, don't let people on here tell you you can't. Just study like crazy and be focused n you'll do fine.
Good luck!
-Pete