4 recomendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalchick2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I want to send 4 rec letters and need to know if it is ok to that. I was told by OU admissions that I can send in extras if I desire, but just not too many...(not specific on the #)

So my letters are from:
1. PAC committee
2. Orthodontist i worked for 3 yrs
3.Dentist I shadowed all semester
4. Research Professor that I have a summer project with that is related to biofilms and dental materials.

The first 2 letters I am putting in my actual AADSAS app, but the last two I will mail in myself.

Thanks!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure of the answer to this on the specific number, but I was told not to have too many.

I don't mean to hijack thread, but for those who know, is 7 too many :D

I have 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 dentist, 1 EC, and 1 committee letter. This is the minimum that my school requires if I'm going through the committee.

However, these letters were from last year. I wanted to add in another science professor from this semester, making it a total of 7 :confused: Bad?

I'm not sure of the answer to this on the specific number, but I was told not to have too many.

I don't mean to hijack thread, but for those who know, is 7 too many :D

I have 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 dentist, 1 EC, and 1 committee letter. This is the minimum that my school requires if I'm going through the committee.

However, these letters were from last year. I wanted to add in another science professor from this semester, making it a total of 7 :confused: Bad?

Good grief!! 7 letters is outrageously too many. There is a reason for the committee letter. It is suppose to replace your professor's letters which is why they require a committee letter and one extra (usually dentist) OR 2-3 professors and a dentist. They can only read so much of these professors saying the EXACT same thing about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

The first 2 letters I am putting in my actual AADSAS app, but the last two I will mail in myself.

:)

I would submit all of them through AADSAS. Letters of rec carry less weight if they know you were able to read them before they were submitted.

7 is too many?
I have 3 professors
3 dentists
1 from the national spokesmen of the american red cross
1 non science

I was planning on getting one from work too (I teach kids/adults swimming, and I have lots of experience teaching disabled/mentally handicapped people), guessing thats a no go

7 is too many?
I have 3 professors
3 dentists
1 from the national spokesmen of the american red cross
1 non science

I was planning on getting one from work too (I teach kids/adults swimming, and I have lots of experience teaching disabled/mentally handicapped people), guessing thats a no go

Was looking for the *shrug* smiley, but couldn't find it.

I don't know... I guess it depends on how you'll submit them...

For me, I have 6 and getting my 7th. However, they are all compiled into one committee letter. So I guess technically I have 6/7, but if they wanted to save time they could just read the committee letter to summarize them all?

For you, you're submitting them all separately so that might be different. Not sure on this one...

I think 4 should is a really good number of letters.

My letters:

Ochem professor
Physics professor
Oral Surgeon i've volunteered and shadowed for 2 years
cardiology lab PI

IMO I think 7 letters is way too many unless each letter has something really diff. to say. I would AT LEAST cut down on a dentist, impluse. I would pick 4-5 of the ones that you think would have the most impact on the adcoms (including ones required for each school). Think about it... they have so many applications x 4 avg. letters x personal statements, they most likely aren't going to read all 7 of your letters OR they might read the core ones and then mistakenly glance over a letter that might have been amazing (like if it was you're last one or something).

It just seems unnecessarily too much. Plus it get's pretty redundant reading the same thing by the time they read your 7th.. if they do.

IMO I think 7 letters is way too many unless each letter has something really diff. to say. I would AT LEAST cut down on a dentist, impluse. I would pick 4-5 of the ones that you think would have the most impact on the adcoms (including ones required for each school). Think about it... they have so many applications x 4 avg. letters x personal statements, they most likely aren't going to read all 7 of your letters OR they might read the core ones and then mistakenly glance over a letter that might have been amazing (like if it was you're last one or something).

It just seems unnecessarily too much. Plus it get's pretty redundant reading the same thing by the time they read your 7th.. if they do.

Well, my school requires 6 minimum (weird, but...) so that's that.

I only wanted to add a 7th is because those letters would be dated 2011, this new one, albeit is just another science professor and my other one's are really good, will be more current and dated 2012. Would this not matter?

For AADSAS I put on my committee letter and as my other letter I put up the best letter out of the 5 I could collect.

For AADSAS I put on my committee letter and as my other letter I put up the best letter out of the 5 I could collect.

Well, for me, my committee letter attaches all my other letters onto their letter as one file. And... in order for them to write you a committee letter, you need 2 science, 1 non-science, and 2 EC.

Any opinions on whether or not I would still need that latest (but also a science) LOR?

Holy cow... 6 minimum?? I only 2 science and 2 dental LOR's O.O

My committee letter was the same way, it displayed all the individual letters (5) too. But, I added a 6th for the hell of it. Can't hurt you.