Letters of Rec advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AdagioStrings

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two questions, are non-science prof LoRs valuable at all? How valuable is a LoR from a dentist that went to the school I am applying to?
 
Hi! I personally would say that any LOR, as long as it is strong and can really speak to who you are as a person/applicant, is valuable! Most schools want LORs from science professors and the limit of letters is usually 4, so having one from a non-science professor could definitely do more good than harm. Same thing for a LOR from a dentist who attended a school you are applying to. If they have kept in contact with the school and have a good relationship with the staff, that's even better! Good luck with everything!
 
Hi! I'm a current D4. My letters of recommendation came from 3 science professors and 1 dentist. I applied to that dentist's school and got accepted, so it won't do any harm to ask that dentist for a letter! 🙂 I would think one non-science professor is fine too, but just make sure that they know you well enough to comment on your work in the class, achievements, etc.
Good luck! 🙂