4 science courses...it can be done, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester's class schedule: 15 credit hours total
anatomy and physiology 2 (with lab)
nutrition
physiology (with lab)
immunology (without lab)
bowling :cool:

So, what do you guys think about me taking 4 science courses next semester?
I'm trying to get my sciGPA up, and this semester I'm taking three science courses (anatomy and physiology 1 with lab, microbiology 1 with lab, biochemistry)...and I'm going to end up with all A's.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO the biggest problem with science classes is that the labs make you feel like your taking twice as many. From what it looks like you only have 2 labs which should be a bit better than having 4.

One semester I took Bio, chem, and physics with an elective, and it felt like I had 7 classes. Definitely more intense feeling that some semesters.

My advice is to definitely stay ahead of the curve though and study your butt off early, especially with all the memorizing you will have to do with your physiology and anatomy classes.

Good luck!

Next semester's class schedule: 15 credit hours total
anatomy and physiology 2 (with lab)
nutrition
physiology (with lab)
immunology (without lab)
bowling :cool:

So, what do you guys think about me taking 4 science courses next semester?
I'm trying to get my sciGPA up, and this semester I'm taking three science courses (anatomy and physiology 1 with lab, microbiology 1 with lab, biochemistry)...and I'm going to end up with all A's.

umm.... It is doable depending on how much social-life your willing to sacrifice and what type of grade you want.

In the past, I've loaded up physiology + anatomy + genetics + biochem 1 + pharmacology all in 1 term..... I needed to 4.0 the entire semester so I had zero social-life. I was studying pretty much all the time and the ONLY time I actually "socialized" and hung out with my classmates is when we met up and studied for an upcoming exam lol.... I did manage to 4.0 the term but... I will NEVER do that kind of load again (unless of course I am in dental school)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we are on this topic could you guys let me know what you think of this schedule?

Organic Chem Lab (1)
Microbiology Lab (2)
Animal Physiology with Lab (4)
Nutrition (3)
Gen Ed (3)
= 13

Since we are on this topic could you guys let me know what you think of this schedule?

Organic Chem Lab (1)
Microbiology Lab (2)
Animal Physiology with Lab (4)
Nutrition (3)
Gen Ed (3)
= 13

Sounds good. Although I'd recommend in the future trying to take a lab concurrent with the class.

i've taken 4 science classes almost every semester as a bio major. its definitely doable. i mean non-science courses are definitely easier but if you think about it, in dental school you will be taking a ton more science classes than that.

no offense, but this seems a little more of a brag than a discussion, i mean youre doing a similar thing now, & im sure you know whether or not you can handle it.

4 science courses are totally doable. I am a post bacc and have been taking all science classes since starting up at my program. It will require quite a bit of time, but stay focus and you will do well.

I'm on the quarter system and have been slowly easing my way into more difficult schedules since I'm a non-trad. Started off with just chem, now I'm taking bio and physics. The next two quarters will be bio, chem and physics. I'm trying to knock out most of the prereqs this school year so I'll take orgo and a few upper division classes like micro, a&p, biochem, etc. next year

Might as well get use to it, once you hit dental school and have a 28 hour semester your going to be wishing you had that 15 hour semester with 4 science courses. If you cant handle that then you should rethink pursuing dental school.

For sure doable. I did this for my last two years of UG. One semester I had Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry II and all had a lab and I got a 4.0- sometimes taking them together is easier since they come together a little.

It's totally doable...
I've taken 20 hours that included 3 science labs before.
I've also taken 3 science lectures + 2 six-hours labs + Teaching Assistant before.

It really depends on how much social stuffs you need though... During my free times, I just sleep...:p

This thread has just become the "one-up McGee" thread.

There was one semester that I decided to just get all my prereq's done and out of the way so I took

Orgo 2
Gen chem 2
Physics 2
Cell Bio
Molecular
Anatomy
Physiology
Microbiology
(All with labs of course)

It was like 32 units--I had to get special permission from the Dean, then he directed me to get special permission from then governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, which of course I got along with this really wicked terminator key chain and a certificate stating my "insane epic nature".

Sorry, forgot to mention i 4.0'd it while maintaining 3 girlfriends and being the president of 4 clubs.

Might as well get use to it, once you hit dental school and have a 28 hour semester your going to be wishing you had that 15 hour semester with 4 science courses. If you cant handle that then you should rethink pursuing dental school.

And most Dental students have a much lower GPA in D-school than they had in undergrad. You have to keep your GPA up or you won't get there...To the OP, you can do it. Just get really organized and stay focused.

There was one semester that I decided to just get all my prereq's done and out of the way so I took

Orgo 2
Gen chem 2
Physics 2
Cell Bio
Molecular
Anatomy
Physiology
Microbiology
(All with labs of course)

It was like 32 units--I had to get special permission from the Dean, then he directed me to get special permission from then governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, which of course I got along with this really wicked terminator key chain and a certificate stating my "insane epic nature".

Sorry, forgot to mention i 4.0'd it while maintaining 3 girlfriends and being the president of 4 clubs.

you should have also loaded the entire bachelors degree in that semester. Whats 100 more credits right? lolz :)

I'm just here to say 'amen' to the comment about the labs. They're a little ridiculous sometimes. OCHM labs are a whole lot of work for 1 credit.

Anyway. I'm doing 3 sciences with labs each semester as post-bacc and the lecture portion isn't the problem. It's those labs. Oh, the newborn baby in the house really doesn't help the cause this semester.

I'm doing 15 credits of graduate level biology and 3 credits of undergraduate upper div neurobiology this semester. It is definitely doable if you stay focused.

Last edited: