I got a D+ in a non pre-requisite course, can I still get in without retaking it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abu Shaggy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I got a D+ in a class that is a requirement for me to graduate, but not a pre-requisite for dental school so I’m not planning on retaking it. Can I still get in to dental schools without retaking the course since it is NOT a pre-requisite?

Members don't see this ad.

My school is letting me graduate without having to retake it, graduating with the D+ isn’t a problem, but is the D+ a problem for dental schools?
Edit: my school considers a D+ a passing grade as long as the GPA is 2.0 is higher, my GPA is a 3.54, so I can still graduate

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s called Patient Education, it’s just a degree requirement, it’s not a pre-requisite, my academic advisor said I can still graduate with it since my GPA is well above a 2.0

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
It’s called Patient Education, it’s just a degree requirement, it’s not a pre-requisite, my academic advisor said I can still graduate with it since my GPA is well above a 2.0
me, personally, if i were on an admissions committee, i might hesitate to offer an interview to someone who got a D+ in patient education
kinda important for a dentist to be good at that

that's just me, though, i'm not on an adcom...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’d retake it. Patient education? If I were reviewing your application and saw that grade, I’d hesitate. However, I saw your WAMC post and other stats look good.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I ask how one can fail this course?
the professor has 3 exams for the course, each being 32% of your grade. so 3 exams x 32%= 96% of your total grade being exams. I studied well, for 3-4 days before the exam and reviewed all of the information, on exams there are 50 multiple choice questions, the options being A-H, yes, 8 options. So its really easy to get mixed up with what you know versus what you think you know, thats why im so against having to retake it, because i dont even know what i would do differently to get a better grade

the professor has 3 exams for the course, each being 32% of your grade. so 3 exams x 32%= 96% of your total grade being exams. I studied well, for 3-4 days before the exam and reviewed all of the information, on exams there are 50 multiple choice questions, the options being A-H, yes, 8 options. So its really easy to get mixed up with what you know versus what you think you know, thats why im so against having to retake it, because i dont even know what i would do differently to get a better grade
Except maybe talk to the student who didn’t get a D. Find out what they did…….

sounds like medical/dental exam format...

I got a D+ in some some art class I didn’t care about. Still got into my top choice school. Don’t sweat it.

I had a D and a C same semester and still got in. I studied hard for the DAT to try my best to offset it.