4 year OMFS with strong TMJ experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bupivacaine Bear

Reaction score
Which 4 year programs have strong TMJ experience? This is what I’ve seen so far:

Indiana - Dr. Matthews and the TMJ institute
Oklahoma - Dr. Sullivan (don’t know volume)

Members don't see this ad.

You’re doing this to find out which programs to avoid correct? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re doing this to find out which programs to avoid correct? Lol
No I’m interested in TMJ. My next post will be about which programs are heavy in cancer so I can avoid those programs (even though Maryland and Rutgers both do a decent amount)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve heard that Emery does a good amount of TMJ and you will operate a lot of total joint replacements during your chief year.

Larry Wolford also has been known to operate a lot of TMJ.
Since he’s an attending at Baylor it would make sense to believe that the residents also get a lot of TMJ at Baylor. But I’d check with one of them.

No I’m interested in TMJ. My next post will be about which programs are heavy in cancer so I can avoid those programs (even though Maryland and Rutgers both do a decent amount)
Are you applying this cycle? These questions can probably be better answered when speaking to residents in person.

Are you applying this cycle? These questions can probably be better answered when speaking to residents in person.
No, next cycle. Im looking to start setting up externships and wanted to narrow things down to programs who see a decent number of total joints

If you’re really interested in total joint replacements you should do a fellowship when you’re done.

I was always interested in TMJ during residency and enjoyed doing total joint replacements. It’s a really fun surgery.

But like the vast majority of others, I lost interest in pursuing a fellowship by the end of my residency.

No, next cycle. Im looking to start setting up externships and wanted to narrow things down to programs who see a decent number of total joints
Our chief has done like 20 joints already this year. Set up an externship with us. We don’t do cancer.

Our chief has done like 20 joints already this year. Set up an externship with us. We don’t do cancer.
That’s an impressive number

Do your attendings use tmj concepts, Biomet, or both ?

Northwell does full scope TMJ. Scopes, arthroplasties with or without temporalis fascia flaps, and lots of total joint replacements. Also a good amount of combined total joint + orthognathic cases.

That’s an impressive number

Do your attendings use tmj concepts, Biomet, or both ?
Yeah, I think I heard Baur is in the top 5 for volume in the country. We usually do TMJ concepts, unless there’s a time crunch, then we’ll do Biomet stock.

Larry Wolford also has been known to operate a lot of TMJ.
Since he’s an attending at Baylor it would make sense to believe that the residents also get a lot of TMJ at Baylor. But I’d check with one of them.
They rotate with him for 3 months in their senior year, and if you are lucky he will you let you hand tie after he's thrown the stitch in during closing.

• Haha
U Penn
Peter Quinn is also a big name in TMJ. I’d definitely apply to U Penn.
But I’m a little hesitant to throw out big names now… lol

Nebraska did 14 joints last year amongst 2 chiefs. Mostly TMJ Concepts. Half those cases were TMJ + Orthognathic combined, and we do 3 months of cancer at Methodist. There's more info on our program on the other threads.

Side note: I know Mayo does a lot of TMJ too, unsure of exact numbers though.

This is actually a really good thread. What’s equally important is how much of the actual surgery the resident is operating.

I myself didn’t do more than a handful of total joint replacements. But the attendings were awesome and I did 100 % of the surgery myself (2 tmj concepts 2 stage, one Biomet as a single stage). This is very important than say being first assist on 15 cases but the attendings basically did all of the procedure.

Op is asking very good questions. You always have to ask yourself. What is my ROI coming to this program.

Reactions: 1 users