Why would a 4 year OMFS program switch to a 6 year track and vice versa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meningititis

Reaction score
How and why would/does this happen? I have seen a few examples going both ways while researching programs. Could this be a red flag for a program? Random thought. Appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Programs that switch from 6->4 probably get way more applicants, giving them more talent to chose from.

Reactions: 1 user
I know of a couple of programs that recently added a 6 year option to their already existing 4…I’m not familiar with a 6 that switched to 4 or a 4 that switched to a 6, recently. Is there any concrete info on this? There are situations where the medical school will place restrictions/requirements on 4 year programs that want to add a 6 year or switch from 4 to 6 that makes it unrealistic/not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell was 6 that switched to 4 maybe 5 years ago because med school requirements increased to where it became too much. Nova was 4 then just turned into 4 and 6 this past cycle but idk why. Maybe because their MD med school recently got accredited so they wanted to implement it.

Reactions: 2 users
LSU recently added a 4 year track

Reactions: 1 users
Money and shared revenue from med schools

I know of a couple of programs that recently added a 6 year option to their already existing 4…I’m not familiar with a 6 that switched to 4 or a 4 that switched to a 6, recently. Is there any concrete info on this? There are situations where the medical school will place restrictions/requirements on 4 year programs that want to add a 6 year or switch from 4 to 6 that makes it unrealistic/not worth it.

Like [mention]Rick Sorkin [/mention] said, I did see nova/broward was supposedly transiting to a 6 year program according to their last program update they posted on here. Also I believe DMC up in Michigan used to be a 6 year program and is now a 4 year program

Interesting question. There was a 6 year track with the Mount Sinai School of Medicine when I was at Mt. Sinai as a lowly GPR. I recently looked at the website and see the 6 year track is still there but the MD is now offered by the Albert Einstein School of Medicine, a totally different med school in a different part of New York. I wonder why they switched med schools.

Interesting question. There was a 6 year track with the Mount Sinai School of Medicine when I was at Mt. Sinai as a lowly GPR. I recently looked at the website and see the 6 year track is still there but the MD is now offered by the Albert Einstein School of Medicine, a totally different med school in a different part of New York. I wonder why they switched med schools.
It seems some got the MD from NY medical college but it’s a minority.

Also this wouldn’t be a bad thing since that medical school is now free.

Reactions: 1 users
I did hear about this. That's a good point. My random opinion would be that a free US MD would probably be preferred over paying for an MD from MSSM for the majority of candidates.
It will probably make this program a highly competitive one moving forward I’d imagine