4 year undergraduate

jaymafia90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i know i have to focus on my studies and gpa and mcat and so on to get into med school but a few days ago while doing some research i stumbled unto a site that had said its also good to do certain things on the side, whether it has to do with art/music etc or volunteering, and that would be something that would also help out to get into med school. I was just curious to hear your guys thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean you should have hobbies other than med school ECs, but don't do something extra just so you can list it for med school. More than anything I would say try out 1 club or so during your freshman year so that you can have a bit of fun while having enough time to focus on keeping a high GPA. After that you can add more activities within reason.

I mean you should have hobbies other than med school ECs, but don't do something extra just so you can list it for med school. More than anything I would say try out 1 club or so during your freshman year so that you can have a bit of fun while having enough time to focus on keeping a high GPA. After that you can add more activities within reason.
hi, what does ECs stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if literally the only thing you did in undergrad was study you would not get into medical school. You need to do some shadowing, research (helpful, but not a 100% must), volunteering, etc etc. They want well-rounded candidates.

Also... I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but yes you should have hobbies... for life not medical school.

good to do certain things on the side, whether it has to do with art/music etc or volunteering, and that would be something that would also help out to get into med school.
Don't do the EC's and volunteering/shadowing to "get in". Do them to explore your interests and understand what you're getting into. I think adcoms like to see it because they want to see their applicants understand what they're getting themselves into and have a personality. Its a career of service to humanity. If after a while you find you really hate serving others, it should be a red flag to you because things just get harder.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, if literally the only thing you did in undergrad was study you would not get into medical school. You need to do some shadowing, research (helpful, but not a 100% must), volunteering, etc etc. They want well-rounded candidates.

Also... I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but yes you should have hobbies... for life not medical school.
my hobbies change year to year, at the moment its just reading books, and wanting to do anything extreme and going out, I've been wanting to volunteer in soup kitchens and as a big brother lately though.

Don't do the EC's and volunteering/shadowing to "get in". Do them to explore your interests and understand what you're getting into. I think adcoms like to see it because they want to see their applicants understand what they're getting themselves into and have a personality. Its a career of service to humanity. If after a while you find you really hate serving others, it should be a red flag to you because things just get harder.
yeah!! that's what i was thinking too!! i agree with you all the way!!