4 years in Europe then Medical school?

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a quick question.

Currently Im going to college in my home state of Florida for Pre-medical(Biology major). Although I may have an opportunity to attend a school in the Netherlands and obtain a bachelor in Natural Sciences. I would love to live abroad at some point in my life and experience new culture, along with doing good in school. My question is..

If i receive a Bachelor's in Sciences, meet the requirements for medical school in the U.S, etc etc. Would the application be about the same or would i be looked at with a disadvantage since i went to a European university.

Hope you guys can give me some help it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,Cameron

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I have a quick question.

Currently Im going to college in my home state of Florida for Pre-medical(Biology major). Although I may have an opportunity to attend a school in the Netherlands and obtain a bachelor in Natural Sciences. I would love to live abroad at some point in my life and experience new culture, along with doing good in school. My question is..

If i receive a Bachelor's in Sciences, meet the requirements for medical school in the U.S, etc etc. Would the application be about the same or would i be looked at with a disadvantage since i went to a European university.

Hope you guys can give me some help it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,Cameron

Just go there for a study abroad trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, study abroad. You probably won't want to live in Europe for 4 years and have to adapt to cultural customs etc etc.
Study abroad is a much better way.
It also makes your med school application much simpler to explain and med schools like simplicity.

Just be sure to smoke cannabis while you're there.

Is it legal there? :confused:

Almost everything is legal in the Netherlands, it seems. ;)

But go study abroad, it's much harder having a foreign undergrad degree to get into a US Medical School, even if you a US citizen.

Med schools like students from varying backgrounds but when it comes down to it you are going to have the easiest time getting in with a 4 year degree from a US undergraduate. As others have said, study abroad or you could even consider living there for a year, but I would probably shy away from actually completing my undergraduate there.

Survivor DO

Also bear in mind that many US medical schools, especially those that are state supported, require 90 undergraduate units from a US undergraduate college. That means in most cases you cannot do your undergrad degree abroad.

As others have said, go abroad for a semester or two -- its a fabulous learning experience.

I appreciate the responses! I'm just curious why its so different. I guess i thought it would interest med schools if you studied for 4 years in Europe with the same type of degree.

It might make you interesting, however the medical schools will have no way of knowing the quality or rigor of the program you studied in. Hence the requirement for US undergraduate training.

It might make you interesting, however the medical schools will have no way of knowing the quality or rigor of the program you studied in. Hence the requirement for US undergraduate training.

Agreed, thanks for your response! Seems ill be staying in Florida as planned haha but thought id ask and research it more haha

No i never applied there for Undergrad but i was accepted for USF/UT, but i decicded to go to University of Tampa for pre-medical because of the class sizes, labs etc. The campus is really nice as well and in downtown. USF is 15 minutes from there. I'm excited though, where are you headed?

UF has a Trans Atlantic Science Student Exchange Program which I completed... I studied in Ireland for a semester. It was an exchange program and my costs were completely covered through scholarships/grants. I received UF GPA and credit..and got to take science courses like organic spectroscopy, analytical chemistry, electro chem, Irish health care policy, and business courses (I was a business undergrad). It was an easy semester, and I had the TIME OF MY LIFE.

The TASSEP program also allows you to study in others cities in Europe. Maybe your Florida school has a similar program. Contact your study abroad advisor and share it with them... http://studyabroad.unc.edu/tassep/

It was a great talking point during my medical school interviews and now I'll be attending UF COM in August :)

No i never applied there for Undergrad but i was accepted for USF/UT, but i decicded to go to University of Tampa for pre-medical because of the class sizes, labs etc. The campus is really nice as well and in downtown. USF is 15 minutes from there. I'm excited though, where are you headed?

My hope is to go to UVM in my home state.

I am likely applying to one of the following florida schools though:
-FSU
-UCF
-USF

UF has a Trans Atlantic Science Student Exchange Program which I completed... I studied in Ireland for a semester. It was an exchange program and my costs were completely covered through scholarships/grants. I received UF GPA and credit..and got to take science courses like organic spectroscopy, analytical chemistry, electro chem, Irish health care policy, and business courses (I was a business undergrad). It was an easy semester, and I had the TIME OF MY LIFE.

The TASSEP program also allows you to study in others cities in Europe. Maybe your Florida school has a similar program. Contact your study abroad advisor and share it with them... http://studyabroad.unc.edu/tassep/

It was a great talking point during my medical school interviews and now I'll be attending UF COM in August :)

this sounds really cool :thumbup: hopefully my college has something like that.

@cameronmed, USF over UT any day :p

and @nysegop, why not UF if you're apply to the others?

this sounds really cool :thumbup: hopefully my college has something like that.

@cameronmed, USF over UT any day :p

and @nysegop, why not UF if you're apply to the others?

UF? Too hard to get into for me.