4 years out--Retake premed classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenixi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here. Here's my question:
The last time I took a science course was 4 years ago. I completed 75% of my premed classes, including orgo and stats, in college. I haven't studied inorganic chemistry for over 6 years. I plan to take the MCAT next year but fear that my science knowledge is very rusty.
Should I enroll in a postbacc program and retake my all my premed classes again? Should I just take the premed classes I haven't taken in college? Is it possible for me refresh the rest of the science background on my own? (I hope to enroll in a MCAT prep course).

Thanks so much for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I took all my premed classes but organic in 1994. I took the MCAT in 2008. It was fine.

It would behoove you to take a practice MCAT and see how you score on it before thinking of postbacc programs or retaking all classes. Taking a practice exam will give you an idea as to what your strengths and weaknesses are. You could then decide what option would be best for you to follow:

a) Studying on your own (which I think most people do).
b) Taking an MCAT prep course (I don't think these teach you much content, mostly test taking strategies).
c) Retaking some classes.
d) Retaking all classes
e) A combination of any of the above.

Note, a postbacc program would only be useful to you if:
1) you have yet to fulfill most of your premed requirements, or
2) your overall undergraduate GPA or BCPM GPA or both would benefit from a boost.

Whatever you choose to do: do so wisely. Good luck on your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I am new here. Here's my question:
The last time I took a science course was 4 years ago. I completed 75% of my premed classes, including orgo and stats, in college. I haven't studied inorganic chemistry for over 6 years. I plan to take the MCAT next year but fear that my science knowledge is very rusty.
Should I enroll in a postbacc program and retake my all my premed classes again? Should I just take the premed classes I haven't taken in college? Is it possible for me refresh the rest of the science background on my own? (I hope to enroll in a MCAT prep course).

Thanks so much for your advice!

I ended up retaking some of my pre-reqs for two reasons: 1) I had about a B average in those classes and I wanted to prove that I could do better, and 2) I thought it would help me prepare for the MCAT. I'm glad I did it b/c, like you, I didn't take an inorganic chemistry course for six years.

I ended up getting A's in everything, and it helped my GPA, especially for DO schools b/c they only count the latest grade in their calculations. That's also something you may want to consider. But at the end of the day, it really depends on the individual.

I agree graduating gpa 2.49 postbac 3.97 huge jump made me more competitive

I ended up retaking some of my pre-reqs for two reasons: 1) I had about a B average in those classes and I wanted to prove that I could do better, and 2) I thought it would help me prepare for the MCAT. I'm glad I did it b/c, like you, I didn't take an inorganic chemistry course for six years.

I ended up getting A's in everything, and it helped my GPA, especially for DO schools b/c they only count the latest grade in their calculations. That's also something you may want to consider. But at the end of the day, it really depends on the individual.

I'm with sindadel on this one - you don't need to unless you just want to, or unless you really have problems self-motivating to do the necessary content review for the MCAT. Don't go off the study schedules posted by a lot of the premeds; you'll have to do much more content review in the beginning. It will come back though! Just give yourself enough time to do it properly so you only have to take it once ;)

good luck-