40 hrs. a week as a neurosurgeon poss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shildebrecht

Ragnar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After residency, can you set up your schedule to work only forty or so hours a week as a neurosurgeon? I guess that would be considered part time...??
 
Hmmm..I'll let the qualified people answer that but I think you'd have to be damn efficient to pull 40 hours a week off...I mean 40 really isn't THAT much. I work 25 hours as an undergraduate student right now...on top of 18 to 20 credit hours and all my other activities......still have time to party. 😉
 
I don't think it's possible.

I think a better question to ask is this: If you're only interested in working 40 hrs a week, why wouldn't you pick another specialty? It seems to odd to me that someone would opt to kill themselves during neurosurg residency and once they can get out, work, and make dough, choose not to.