How to approach a neurosurgeon about research/shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostmedicalstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how in your departments medical students usually approach faculty or even residents about becoming involved in neurosurgery research or shadowing. Is it most appropriate to email the residency director, individual attendings or residents, or even a departmental secretary? Also I am not sure whether it would be overbearing to include any sort of qualifications I have in an email but I imagine neurosurgeons are inundated with requests from medical students all the time inquiring about research/shadowing.
I am an MD-PhD student and I did my PhD in neuroscience where I performed a lot of "neurosurgery" on mice (I know human surgery is obviously a different beast) and did a lot of pathology analysis of human brain samples so I think I might be able to bring some skillset of use to research (know how to put together a paper basically along with doing the stats and making figures etc, have multiple first author pubs). As well, I am basically able to do research/shadow nearly full time (although I doubt any neurosurgeons would a medical student around that much) because I have finished my thesis work but obtaining a PhD requires a minimum of 3 years (at my school) and I am at 2.5 years so I am just hanging out for half a year until I can re-enter medical school for the 3rd year. So I would like to learn more about what is currently my top specialty in the meantime. I am also on an NIH F30 fellowship so I have independent funding with $5000 allotted to miscellaneous research expenses and conference attendance, not sure if that would be of any interest to potential neurosurgery research mentors.

Members don't see this ad.