40 on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to go about getting a 40 on the mcat. Does anyone know someone else who was able to get such a high score? Is there a secret number of practice tests you need to take? I know someone who took 60 and got a 38. If you sacrifice the time and energy for any test you can do very well, so it cant be impossible, can it? As someone who is very ambitious, becoming a physician is the ultimate goal, however a 40 on the MCAT would be a pretty big achievement to look back on no matter how what happens. I'm willing to follow whatever that recipe is.

Members don't see this ad.

24457582.jpg
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I crammed for 5 days back in May and got a 36 (10vr 12ps 14bs). I'm sure if I allocated more time and resources I would be able to hit 38-40.

Basically if you are in a competent bio/chem UG program (e.g. biochemistry / pharm / microbio), your BS score will automatically be high, at least 13+.

Have a knack for physics and math, and the PS score should be able to get 13+ as well.

Assuming you nail those two and get 14 in both, then you "just" need a 12 in VR. That is probably the toughest part since different people handle VR with different degrees of finesse.

Personally I didn't study for VR at all, so my score of 10 in it was dumb luck and common sense. With some actual practice + some semi-regular readings of journals and such, 12 should be attainable. A friend of mine got 13 on Verbal, he can't even speak and write English properly since he's a relatively new Chinese immigrant to Canada, but he had tons of article analysis practice from having to do TOEFL tests just in the previous year, and also he is a highly analytical and observant person in general.

So tl;dr is be in a bio/chem focused UG program, like physics, and practice tons for verbal, and you should be able to hit 40 with a dash of luck.

Of course not. I have the word PERFECT tattooed on my arm. I know I'm not perfect but the secret to success is simply to strive for perfection in all areas weather it's in your genes or not. And ,well.... I know it takes people skills to be successful. Thats why I will try to make my interviews as perfect as possible to reveal them. As long as I know what I need to do to succeed I will master EVERY ASPECT that is required. Something everyone can learn a thing or two from.

I know you will do whatever it takes but be careful don't try to sleep with your professor:cool:

Well, I crammed for 5 days back in May and got a 36 (10vr 12ps 14bs). I'm sure if I allocated more time and resources I would be able to hit 38-40.

Basically if you are in a competent bio/chem UG program (e.g. biochemistry / pharm / microbio), your BS score will automatically be high, at least 13+.

Have a knack for physics and math, and the PS score should be able to get 13+ as well.

Assuming you nail those two and get 14 in both, then you "just" need a 12 in VR. That is probably the toughest part since different people handle VR with different degrees of finesse.

Personally I didn't study for VR at all, so my score of 10 in it was dumb luck and common sense. With some actual practice + some semi-regular readings of journals and such, 12 should be attainable. A friend of mine got 13 on Verbal, he can't even speak and write English properly since he's a relatively new Chinese immigrant to Canada, but he had tons of article analysis practice from having to do TOEFL tests just in the previous year, and also he is a highly analytical and observant person in general.

So tl;dr is be in a bio/chem focused UG program, like physics, and practice tons for verbal, and you should be able to hit 40 with a dash of luck.

i really don't think that's true at all, considering how few people even break 12s on the sciences. a 36 (12,12,12) is like the 97th percentile, and a 39 (13,12,13) is the 99th percentile. so i dont think that every competent bio/chem major will be able to hit 13 on the BS.

i would say that if you are a solid/good science major student at a very rigorous undergrad, then a 12 on the BS should be well within grasp.

i really don't think that's true at all, considering how few people even break 12s on the sciences. a 36 (12,12,12) is like the 97th percentile, and a 39 (13,12,13) is the 99th percentile. so i dont think that every competent bio/chem major will be able to hit 13 on the BS.

i would say that if you are a solid/good science major student at a very rigorous undergrad, then a 12 on the BS should be well within grasp.

Yeah but you're including and 12 and 13 on VR respectively, which is less common than the corresponding scores in the sciences, so I don't think this is the best way to present the data... Just saying.