40 years of HIV/AIDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1103055

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I worked closely with Dr. Ken Mayer. He really has been a trailblazer in his life. He has always been my Anthony Fauci.

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. Even though HIV can be a "chronic" condition, it still is a death sentence for many. I just wish medical schools did a better job at teaching the history of HIV and acknowledge the populations affected mostly by it. It is important to address the stigma, teach about who Ryan White is, and how people living with HIV can receive healthcare benefits through the government if they are unable to pay.

However, I do not want to end on a sad note. My happy story is that one of my mentors, who inspired me to work with LGBTQ/HIV intersection and go into medicine, is a person living with HIV. He is a great mentor and an amazing friend. I feel so happy that he is in my life. I constantly learn from him.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for starting this thread.

Sarah Shulman just came out with a book about ACT Up activism in New York a few years into the crisis. The book is called "Let the Record Show: A Political History of ACT Up New York, 1987-1993". I just ordered it yesterday.

Ruth Coker Burks's book, "All The Young Men", also came out recently. This is also a good recollection of what it meant to care for people with HIV/AIDS back in the 80s/90s.

Reactions: 1 users