1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Examples of an "LGBT" personal statement

Discussion in 'LGBTQ' started by Soundsgood2018, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Soundsgood2018

I was an applicant for med school several years ago who struggled with how to identify myself as LGBT in my application.

At the time I applied, the general vibe on SDN was that it was bad to be out on your application, and it almost definitely did not contribute to your quality as an applicant or in offering diversity to your class. I ultimately decided to be out anyway in my personal statement. Ultimately, I had a successful interview trail.

Since then, I've spoken to applicants at LGBT conferences and shared my personal statement with them. It's so easy to find personal statement examples online as a way to model your own, but unless I'm not looking in the right places there are no resources for LGBT applicants.

Therefore, I wanted to share mine with LGBT applicants as a way to offer some direction. I don't want to make it public because it's identifying and personal, but I will share the link with anyone who asks in-thread or by PM. Of course, please be respectful and don't share it with others who don't go through this avenue. For the sake of anonymity for this thread, I decided to make a new account.

And also, if anyone else wants to share their personal statements in-thread or by similar means, I think this would be a great way to help out our LGBT colleagues, and feel free to post in-thread as well.

There's no one right way to do your personal statement, but I was able to be out and have a loving and incredibly supportive faculty behind me at my institution. Good luck!

chunkyfilms, linearbbq and Amygdarya like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pawnee.goddess

Pre-Medical
    Would you mind PMing me? I can't seem to PM you for some reason!

4. Soundsgood2018

Sent! If anyone else has that issue let me know and I'll PM you

5. CaseyNCHS

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, I also can't message you for some reason. do you mind PMing me?

6. Cryc_to_the_point

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why are we wanting to define people by their sexual preferences? I don't see how that's actually all that relevant to what kind or of what quality doctor you would be.

7. CaseyNCHS

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, if you have done a lot of volunteer work (medical or not) with the LGBT community, you may want to use that in your application and if you do then you are essentially outing yourself. There are some great allies, but let's be honest, most of the work is done my LGBT members themselves. Some people may want to use it as a life hurdle that they had to overcome, which made them a more understanding and compassionate person. I can see many ways that someone could want to bring it up, without just saying "I'm gay, you should accept me, diversity..."

8. Soundsgood2018

I appreciate people wanting to have this sort of conversation, but there have already been multiple discussions on this throughout SDN that can be searched and I would really like not to distract from the purpose of the thread, which is to help fellow LGBT colleagues navigate a very difficult task for us. Whether you think these sorts of topics are relevant in the first place, please kindly discuss it elsewhere so that the primary intent of this thread is not drowned out. Very appreciated, and not trying to sound harsh.

1996- and linearbbq like this.
  9. itsanjoo

Hi there, I think it's so nice of you to share this. Could you PM me? Thank you again. I've been having a difficult time trying to articulate my identity.