41 and want info.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philipl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick little bio. I am 41 and have a degree in computer science. I have been in the computer field for the past 10 years. I am looking at a career change. Because of my computer ?life? I want something that is more involved with people.

I was in a medical unit in the Army Reserves and now exploring the medical field.

I am looking at either becoming a PA or going to a Med School offshore.

I will have to go back to school and take classes in bio and Chem. That will take me about a year to 11/2 years.

What I want to know is from start to finish of medical school. How long will it take? What is involved? Where can I get information?

Just like an 18 year old kid, I am looking at this from a ?newbie? point of view.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a myriad of sources which will answer your questions. At a minimum, medical school will take you 4 years to complete. After that, you generally MUST complete a residency to have any practice options (while you may be licensed to practice medicine and surgery after medical school most hospitals/HMOs, etc. will not hire non-residency trained physicians let alone non Board Eligible/Board Certified physicians). Residency training takes a minimum of 3-8+ years, depending on the specialty you choose. Please be aware that some programs will not look favorably upon your advanced age...yes, people do start residency at 50 years of age, but they are *very* few and far between. So a minimum of 7 years from the time you start medical school to being able to practice.

As for what is involved, you may wish to start with the following web sites:

Association of American Medical Colleges (while you may not attend a US medical school, this is a good basic source of information about medical school):
http://www.aamc.org

American Medical Association (another source of information about practicing medicine in the US):
http://www.ama-assn.org

Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Grads (ECFMG; information which will be quite valuable to you should you attend a foreign medical school. Getting a US residency requires a fair bit of paperwork and hoop jumping):
http://www.ecfmg.org

This should be a good start. I also suggest you check out the threads in the Pre-Allopathic Forum as there are others in your position. Best of luck.

What Kimberly said + my opinion...

If at all possible, go to SGU in the Caribbean. Stay away from the rest.

Oh yeah, I think what you're doing is very courageous and admirable... I say GO FOR IT, and good luck :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just also add...

Licensure as a Physician's Assistant is a viable route. Many get a lot more patient interaction experience than some doctors, which seems to be what you are craving. Likewise, the core training is only two years, and you may be able to get an admission with your previous medic experience and maybe a few "brush-up" courses (the PA program was originally designed specifically for such folks). Furthermore, PAs are paid very well nowadays and are in high demand in some areas.

If you decide that you only want to go the M.D. route, you will certainly have to take the MCAT as well. Most of the Caribbean schools require it, as well as other foreign programs. Nonetheless, if you are going to go "go for it" and complete your pre-med requirements, sit for the MCAT, and then apply to medical school (which could, in all, take a year or two), you might as well apply in the U.S. too. Anyway you look at it, you will be about 50 before you are able to be out practicing on your own - if you go the "doctor" route.

These are just some other things to consider. If you decide that you definitely want to be an M.D., concentrate on crushing your pre-med courses and the MCAT... and apply in the U.S. too. And, don't overlook the osteopathy route.

Good luck,

-Skip
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica

These are just some other things to consider. If you decide that you definitely want to be an M.D., concentrate on crushing your pre-med courses and the MCAT... and apply in the U.S. too. And, don't overlook the osteopathy route.

Good luck,

-Skip
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica [/B][/QUOTE]

First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies.

Next, What is "crushing"?

Originally posted by philipl

Good luck,

-Skip
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica

First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies.

Next, What is "crushing"? [/B][/QUOTE]

"Crushing" means beating the test into submission, doing extremely well on it, etc.

I'm 38 and getting ready to apply to osteopathic school. Why go off shore? If its an age thing perhaps you should consider Osteopathy which looks at maturity as a positive not a negative. If its grades how you do in your next year and a half will carry more weight than past gpa stuff. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Sean.:)

Originally posted by sean
I'm 38 and getting ready to apply to osteopathic school. Why go off shore? If its an age thing perhaps you should consider Osteopathy which looks at maturity as a positive not a negative. If its grades how you do in your next year and a half will carry more weight than past gpa stuff. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Sean.:)

You are the second person is as many days to suggest Osteopathy as an option. I am going to look into it.

this is a good time to apply to DO school. 2500+ students are accepted yearly and aps have dropped to ~7000/year.

in the mid 1990s, there were 10,500 aps for 1500 slots.

a new school is opening in VA and a college in Utah is a possibility.

there are a # of accelerated pre-rec programs, where you complete two academic years in two semesters...if you are in a hurry.

if you want to go to the carib, MUA has a pre-rec program that is two semesters (www.medicaluniversity.org/pre-med.html)