MD & DO (498, 3.9, URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexandra22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1st Mcat C/P:125 Verbal:121 Bio:124 Psych:124 (494)

2nd Mcat C/P: 123 Verbal:125 Bio:123 Psych:127 (498)

So basically my lowest sections got flip flopped. I'm happy for the huge improvement in verbal but not for my low bio/chem scores.

I have 3.9 GPA, 3.85 science. African American female.

Do I have a chance at HBCU med schools and DO schools? I have research experience, leadership and volunteering (clinical and non-clinical) so overall solid EC's.
Yes, especially if you apply broadly. Your MCAT scores are still in a danger zone though. IF you have test taking anxiety issues, that can be fixed. The low Bio score is especially worrisome to me.

Thank you goro. My home state is Arizona, should I try my state school? What other schools would you suggest outside of the HBCU med schools?

My school list currently

1. Howard
2. Meharry
3. Morehouse
4. U of A Tucson (don't think I have a chance with downtown)

I'm still doing research on DO schools. I would appreciate any suggestions if you have any. Thank you.
Apply to both of your state MD schools and the HBCU's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great shot at DO schools. Just be aware that some require a physician letter.

I definitely do have issues with standardized testing @Goro

I am just scared to retake because of the very real possibility that I will do worse. My issue with the sciences are how the passages are presented in the MCAT. I actually was a tutor in undergrad so I know the material. I really do believe the MCAT is an aptitude test and there's only so much "studying" you can do for it. It's more data analysis than anything which I struggle in especially with the new biochem section.
We addicted to high stakes standardized exam in med school, so this is an issue you do need to get resolved. Do NOT do a retake unless you are 100% ready.

Add UCLA/Drew to the list.

The HBCU's make a big difference for the African-American applicants but state public schools are also willing to take a risk for an applicant that has the promise to reverse medical care disparity. The further you go from these centers of interest, the lower your odds. If you find regional OOS private schools with a 10th percentile MCAT of 496 or less, go for it.