4th time DAT and my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgogo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a change in getting into dental school with 4th time DAT?
has anyone pull it off?
I am interested in texas schools and few outofstate schools..
any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you get a crazy DAT score and an above average GPA.....not really

is there a change in getting into dental school with 4th time DAT?
has anyone pull it off?
I am interested in texas schools and few outofstate schools..
any thoughts?

I think you have to ask for special permission to take the DAT a 4th time. You're really only supposed to take the test at most three times. Perhaps someone could correct me, but I believe this is still the case. I think the important thing is to have a DAT score that goes well, but I have never heard of someone taking the test a fourth time. Obviously, your chances also depend on your GPA, so we would have to know those in order to make any predictions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
well im doing post bacc and so far I have 4.0
My problem w/ DAT is reading comprehension..
I was able to pull of 20 above in all science and PAT but 15 on reading part...so I been practicing alot after 3rd DAT and maybe still have hope in 4th DAT..

Slight chance only if U do extremely well. Realistically no, since U came out short 3 times in a row.

Imo To an admission person that shows you are not a serious applicant.

If U are serious, study real hard and beast the Dat one LAST time.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I was able to pull of 20 above in all science and PAT but 15 on reading part...so I been practicing alot after 3rd DAT and maybe still have hope in 4th DAT..

What about your gpa before the post bacc? They will be looking at that as well. Yeah, reading comprehension is an important section (perhaps the most important). The 15 will just not cut it, in my opinion. I believe you will need to ask for a 4th time. I'm not sure what is required to qualify to take it a 4th time.

I got into few dental schools with a 14 on reading comp and 17 on QR (AA21 TS24 PA19). I think 15 on RC is not a deal breaker, did you apply and got rejected? What's your science GPA? 20+ on all science sections should be enough!

I am approved to take my 4th DAT but I have not made my final decision to take them..
My under science was 3.2.. one of the reason why I go rejected..so I am trying hard to maintain 4.0 post bacc gpa.
Number one reason why I can make my mind up is that I dont know if I should take another change to improve on my DAT or just go with what I have along with post bacc GPAs.
To HMI, which dental schools did you get into?

I am approved to take my 4th DAT but I have not made my final decision to take them..
My under science was 3.2.. one of the reason why I go rejected..so I am trying hard to maintain 4.0 post bacc gpa.
Number one reason why I can make my mind up is that I dont know if I should take another change to improve on my DAT or just go with what I have along with post bacc GPAs.
To HMI, which dental schools did you get into?

UCSF, NYU, NOVA (also got wait listed at Columbia)!

wow congrats!
I guess your science GPA was high lol
hard decision for me..:((

You have two options:
A. Retake it and beast it one last time (it shows that you're dedicated to the profession. You've never given up)
B. Apply for the upcoming cycle and see where that takes you

hey i am in the same boat.....can u help guide me?...i need to take the DATs will be my 4th time how and what did u do?

Wow reading this makes me worried about attempting the DAT next year for my 1st time. Makes me realize I really do need a back up plan. I've been saying yes I'll have a back up plan because I'll graduate with a biology degree...but I don't really have a back up plan if I was being honest with myself.

Best of luck to you dent, I think you should apply to those schools next cycle with your current stats and if rejected then retake the DAT the 4th time...possibly try and find out if the RC is really all the schools were not pleased with...to not get into anywhere on all 3 attempts just because of that means to me one of 3 things:
a) You're applying to unrealistic schools
b) They really really really do value that RC more than even I would think (because let's face it, your science scores were good)
c) There is something else on your application or something about your general application they don't like. Do they get the sense you didn't really get involved with your extra curriculars, did half-ass shadowing, give a bad personal statement of why you're right for the profession (i.e do they think you're in it for a money-grab)...I don't know and I doubt it but I'm just trying to rationalize the situation.

Dang though, I need to get a real back up plan planned out though. This thread scares me considering I'm in 3rd year and my GPA is notably lower than yours right now (damn first year woes).

I am also in the same boat with needing to take the DAT a fourth time. where would I go to apply to take it a fourth time? I know you have to have special approval but I can't find where to start.

I am also in the same boat with needing to take the DAT a fourth time. where would I go to apply to take it a fourth time? I know you have to have special approval but I can't find where to start.

Requests for additional testing beyond the first three attempts must be submitted in writing to
[email protected] and must include evidence of current (within the previous 18 months) intent
to apply to dental school. Please submit your documents as a single attachment. Acceptable
forms of evidence include the following (you need submit only one):

 Copy of a completed and submitted ADEA AADSAS application
 Letter of rejection from a dental school
 Letter on school letterhead from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to
retest
 Letter on school letterhead from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor
verifying that you are applying to dental school

The results of the four most recent DAT administrations, as well as the total number of
attempts, are reported on official score reports.

http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_examinee_guide.ashx

I'm assuming you are a Texas resident?

If so... how many hours have you taken for your post bac? And what classes?

I am in a similar situation. Got rejected, retaking my DAT this year, and doing a post bac that will consist of 36 hours starting this fall. It will be upper division biology classes.
The schools in TX have told me that as a reapplicant, you must improve upon yourself especially in the sciences. That 4.0 post bac will serve you well. Regarding the DAT, I'm not too sure. I've heard of people taking it at most 3 times but never 4 :/

If someone tells you that getting into a dental school after taking DAT more than three times is impossible, do NOT believe that person.

I took the exam 5 times for one reason or another, but I did get a couple of interviews despite of applying late, and ultimately got accepted last cycle.

You just need to have a strong determination and show a good improvement on the test.

Big word of advice: do well on the first try thinking it is your last chance, but if you happen to slip, just try harder next time.

To OP: do it only if you are absolutely confident that you will get better scores.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I understand, the ADA limits the amount of times you can take the DAT to three.

From what I understand, the ADA limits the amount of times you can take the DAT to three.

They do. But you can apply to take more if you can prove that you are applying to dental schools.

Reactions: 1 user