4th year advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread for a while, and thanks to all of you who have posted such great advice - it's been very helpful. I'm currently in my third year and trying to plan my 4th year - especially where/when to do my away rotations. I'm thinking of taking July to work on my application and then doing my aways in Aug/Sept/Oct. Is Jan/feb too late to take step 2?

my background: no home residency program but we do have a department & i've been working with the chair since first year. I have 2 rad onc publications, 260+ step 1, strong grades (we'll see how junior AOA goes), and go to a third tier midwest school. my family (and my husband's) is in the SF bay area and i'd love to head back.

i know i'm at a disadvantage because of my school so i'm wondering if doing aways at top programs would be worth it to try to get letters or if i should do my three aways at places it think i may have a shot at an actual acceptance. also, is it too difficult to do three months of aways in a row?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

] Is Jan/feb too late to take step 2?

Given your very good Step 1 score, it is not necessary to take Step 2 early. I didn't take Step 2 until April. It depends on your med school's policy as well, many mandate that you complete it prior to December.

is it too difficult to do three months of aways in a row?

It can be draining traveling to different programs each month, not to mention the time you spend away from your family. Also, as above, make sure you check your med school's policy.

As to where to do your aways, I would try to rotate at a good mix of programs. If you were interested in returning to the SF bay, for instance perhaps you could do one rotation @ UCSF/Stanford and one @ CPMC. It would probably be a good idea to rotate at a program in another geographic location. In the Midwest, there is no shortage of excellent RadOnc programs.

Thanks so much for the advice - i really appreciate it. i know i can take step 2 as late as february, but i'm not sure beyond that. and there are definitely some great programs in the midwest - i'll have to take advantage of that. thanks again!