4th year asking for advice on where to apply to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 4th year OMS and interested in EM.

Stats are:

Step 1: 218 Comlex 1: 525
Step 2: 246 Comlex 2: Not back yet
PE: Passed
Passed all tests/ courses on first try

Yes I kinda dropped the ball on step 1. I was just so anxious that I barely got any sleep the night before and I rushed a lot of questions. I was projecting 230's on practice exams, but oh well...

Noteworthy things:

- Top half of my class with GPA around 90%
- I have a poster presentation and a published case report both in surgery.
- EMT trained before, part of my schools EM club, and was an ER scribe before school
- I was a two Division 1 sport student athlete at a top 25 school.
- I have a decent amount of volunteering

Because of my lower Step 1 score, I am curious where to apply and how broadly I should go? Should I apply to top tier programs or just take an L on that?How many programs to apply to? I am also couples matching with my GF who is going into IM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current 4th year OMS and interested in EM.

Stats are:

Step 1: 218 Comlex 1: 525
Step 2: 246 Comlex 2: Not back yet
PE: Passed
Passed all tests/ courses on first try

Yes I kinda dropped the ball on step 1. I was just so anxious that I barely got any sleep the night before and I rushed a lot of questions. I was projecting 230's on practice exams, but oh well...

Noteworthy things:

- Top half of my class with GPA around 90%
- I have a poster presentation and a published case report both in surgery.
- EMT trained before, part of my schools EM club, and was an ER scribe before school
- I was a two Division 1 sport student athlete at a top 25 school.
- I have a decent amount of volunteering

Because of my lower Step 1 score, I am curious where to apply and how broadly I should go? Should I apply to top tier programs or just take an L on that?How many programs to apply to? I am also couples matching with my GF who is going into IM.

Thanks!

EM doesnt exactly have "tiers" the same way that IM does. There are competitive, big name programs sure, but some of those are open to DOs and there isn't quite as much prestige whoring as there is in IM.

That being said, you being a DO with a low step 1 score will hurt you. You'll need to crush your auditions to have a shot at the more competitive programs (especially the ones in desirable locations) but you still have a decent chance of matching EM somewhere if you do well on your Sub I

Reactions: 1 user
Check out Freida....many, but not all, programs list what their minimum cutoff Step1 scores are. Traditionally AOA EM residencies may care less about your step 1 score too. You'll probably match somewhere if you crush your audition and get a solid SLOE

Members don't see this ad :)
Frieda is wildly inaccurate with your step 2 being solid most EM programs will be willing to overlook the lower step 1. Em is known to care more about step 2. Don't skip on applying to a program just because they say they cut off at "220." A lot of the upperclassman at my school matched at places with a step below their "cut off."

Reactions: 3 users
Frieda is wildly inaccurate with your step 2 being solid most EM programs will be willing to overlook the lower step 1. Em is known to care more about step 2. Don't skip on applying to a program just because they say they cut off at "220." A lot of the upperclassman at my school matched at places with a step below their "cut off."

If freida is inaccurate, is there a place where I should look to get a sense of where I have the best chance of matching? Would applying to 50 programs be OK?

The step 2 score dev will help you with the low step1 which is good. Just apply broadly. IMO I think a reasonable approach for DOs with below average stats is to apply to a healthy number of former DO EM programs (like 20-30) then another 30+ random programs you are interested in assuming they dont have like a step 1cuttoff of like 220 (check emra map for programs step cutoff). Make sure you focus on community programs but worth throwing any Uni programs your interested in too. Probably reasonable to focus more on midwest and southern programs (OH, MI, PA, Fl) as a DO.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing that you could consider if you do not get accepted is to create your own EM/IM opportunity.
Start with IM and sneak your way into an EM program as a 2nd or third year. Discuss this with the IM and EM directors first.

First off, congrats on the solid Step 2 score! That will definitely help offset your Step 1. The rest of your app sounds solid for EM except for info on your audition rotation. Make sure to crush that audition and you should be in a good spot. Couples matching will make things more complicated but it’s still doable with your partner doing IM.

I would apply very broadly and send a few emails out to PDs at programs you love (and have a reasonable shot at) that likely filtered you out with that Step 1 score. I’d say send the emails in early November for previous years but idk what the timeline is for this cycle with interviews. I had a slightly higher Step 1 and lower Step 2 and emailing programs with specific points of interest and how I fit the program got me some dream interviews and got my foot in the door to match at my #1. Feel free to PM me with any questions on my application strategy.

First off, congrats on the solid Step 2 score! That will definitely help offset your Step 1. The rest of your app sounds solid for EM except for info on your audition rotation. Make sure to crush that audition and you should be in a good spot. Couples matching will make things more complicated but it’s still doable with your partner doing IM.

I would apply very broadly and send a few emails out to PDs at programs you love (and have a reasonable shot at) that likely filtered you out with that Step 1 score. I’d say send the emails in early November for previous years but idk what the timeline is for this cycle with interviews. I had a slightly higher Step 1 and lower Step 2 and emailing programs with specific points of interest and how I fit the program got me some dream interviews and got my foot in the door to match at my #1. Feel free to PM me with any questions on my application strategy.

Thanks! I'm currently on my audition rotation, which due to COVID,will be my only EM audition rotation. I believe I am doing well, and I expect a good SLOE, so I'm hopeful for that. I plan to apply very broadly and send out around 60 apps. I like the idea of sending emails out prior to interviews. I may take you up on that offer later!

One thing that you could consider if you do not get accepted is to create your own EM/IM opportunity.
Start with IM and sneak your way into an EM program as a 2nd or third year. Discuss this with the IM and EM directors first.
Is this common? How does this work?