4th year clinic absence policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how planned absences from 4th year clinic are handled at other schools -- specifically:

1. Are you allowed to request days or sessions off for personal reasons (weddings, other travel vs. medical reasons)?

2. Are extra days/sessions built-in to your schedule (so that you don't need to make them up later), or are you given the option to make them up when you can?

Members don't see this ad.

r_salis said:
Just curious how planned absences from 4th year clinic are handled at other schools -- specifically:

1. Are you allowed to request days or sessions off for personal reasons (weddings, other travel vs. medical reasons)?

2. Are extra days/sessions built-in to your schedule (so that you don't need to make them up later), or are you given the option to make them up when you can?

At Umsl, during the 4th year you are required to do six two-month rotations. You are given one day off per rotation for any personal reason. You're supposed to try to plan ahead of time when you'll be home, but who can really plan for sick days or things. If you're going to a school related event AOA meetings, or J & J Vistakon CL's in florida you were given the time off and not counted against it.

I believe though that the individual rotations are who really report the absences. If you have a nice doctor, he might not report any of the days you miss. We had one girl in our class that I heard that was gone all the time in our fourth year. She was always making up excuses at any non-school related rotation to get out of the days work. I'm sure she was surprised that not every rotation you can just see two patients a day (like at our school sites). Someway, somehow, she managed to graduate with all of us. I believe she missed easily 10 days per rotation (from what others told me in our class).

So i guess its just on a really case by case basis. Also I'm sure every school does it different. I believe we should have been given 6 personal days (one per rotation) and 2 "floating emergency" days for those unexpected events in life.

UCBSO

1. Yes, you can request days off for personal reasons. If it is for education or religious leave, it is a 1:1 makeup. Anything else, it’s a 1:2 makeup (make up two days for every 1 you make). The clinic is VERY strict on this rule. If you are ever late to clinic or late calling the clinic to report an absence, they have the option of either making you do a 1:4 or 1:6 makeup. I had to do a 1:4 makeup because I called in 5 minutes late to the director’s office (it didn’t matter to them that I actually called the CLINIC doctor and reported the absence on time). However, I was “lucky” because they were about to make it a 1:6 makeup. Another classmate was so sick one day and was at the hospital, and they still had to make up 2 days. So even for medical reasons, it’s a 1:2 makeup. I had strep throat not too long ago and had a medically excused absence and missed 3 clinic days. Again, it didn’t matter that I had a doctor’s note; the director’s office still notified me that I have to make up 6 days for that. And finally, one of my classmate’s parents passed away last semester and she wanted to take off a few weeks, the director’s office actually made her add on an extra day in the next rotation to make up all the days. In the end, she actually made up more days than she missed but the clinic didn’t let her “bank” those days.

There are very specific guidelines on how to request personal days off. It has to be 3-4 weeks in advance and no more than 30% of the clinicians in the same clinic can be excused on the same day. During the fourth year, only 50% of fourth years can be gone for an educational leave on the same days.

If you are on an out rotation, you are supposed to still notify the director’s office. Some doctors are more lenient than others in notifying the school if you are absent.

2. There are some extra session days built into the calendar to make up days. The major one is during winter break where third year clinicians have 3 extra session weeks for makeup days. As a fourth year, you have about 2 extra session weeks. Some students just make up days after they graduate (no one gets “pardon” as I heard from other schools). A few graduates are still in clinic making up days now. =). However, that will change very soon. The clinic is implementing a new condition to the class below mine that any graduate that has to make up days during the summer will be charged tuition. =P.

A lot of fourth years just add on an extra day into their clinic schedule to be counted as makeup days. Since I’m in the position that I have to make up close to 16 days right now, I will be adding on an extra clinic day.

Our clinic use to give us about 7 banking days to be used for emergency, medical reasons, or education leave, but that was a while ago.

As you can see, many of us are upset about the clinic policies. =D

At IU:

1) We get 4 half-days to take off for whatever reason during each the two 3 month rotations at the school's sites. I don't know the policies of the external sites. We can also go to things like the AOA convention and the Vistakon thing without using our 4 half-days.