4th Year Externship and Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My objective from the very start of grad school has been to keep the need for loans to an absolute minimum. How much do 4th year externs typically make? Not having to take out loans at all would be ideal, but maybe not realistic. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've been hearing, it doesn't sound so good. placements have stopped paying or pay a stipend of like 15k a year. reason for this is that they place where you'll be can bill services under you because you're not licensed. They should have some sort of temp license for 4th yrs. i think we need to start getting on ASHA and AAA to advocate for us poor (literally) au.d students.

Well, AuD's are one of the only degrees that have paid externships. On that note, most of the ones I've been seeing are a stipend of around $15-20k/yr. The VA pays more, somewhere closer to $30-36k/yr. There are some private ENT practices that pay up to $20/hr. These are all "TECH" positions and require supervision as all externships do. I know several of my school mate who make it well with the last year's pay (they usually have a spouse that can help support them). Others have part-time jobs to help make ends meet.

I'm currently looking at externships. Not fun...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of my chief concerns because audiologists don't make a lot for how expensive a 4-year degree is so I too want to minimize my loans as much as I can. At my school I know a lot of the audiology grad students struggle to find externships that will pay anything, as they are reluctant to invest in someone for a year who will move on after graduation.

Well, AuD's are one of the only degrees that have paid externships. On that note, most of the ones I've been seeing are a stipend of around $15-20k/yr. The VA pays more, somewhere closer to $30-36k/yr. There are some private ENT practices that pay up to $20/hr. These are all "TECH" positions and require supervision as all externships do. I know several of my school mate who make it well with the last year's pay (they usually have a spouse that can help support them). Others have part-time jobs to help make ends meet.

I'm currently looking at externships. Not fun...
Looks like I better propose to my girlfriend before my fourth year. :lol:

I understand that many allied health fields have unpaid externships, but the sheer duration of the Au.D. program requires livable compensation for the fourth year. It's not like we're going to make top notch money afterward. Perhaps a stipend should be awarded by the education program on top of the salary to even things out a bit. Wishful thinking.

You want money? Look into Alaska. Oh yes, son. But, prepare for what you'll be getting yourself into! Alaska mostly blows big hogg and you will be miserable (whether or not you end up liking it in the end) for the first 12 months until you successfully adapt to the drastic sunlight and general climatic differences there.

But, there's the money to think about.

Yes, if you do choose to go up there, I would propose to your girfriend before making the big move. Not too many eligible women up there, and of course even fewer quality ones that you'll find compatible with your personality etc. Lots of competition with other men...hard to go to nightclubs in the winter during -20 degree cold, but it is interesting going in the "summer" where it is sunny out at 1 A.M. when you're getting ready to drive (or hail a cab?) home.

My objective from the very start of grad school has been to keep the need for loans to an absolute minimum. How much do 4th year externs typically make? Not having to take out loans at all would be ideal, but maybe not realistic. Any input?

The VA definitely has the highest paying stipends out there. Depend on what region of the country you're in you can be making approximately 40k (granted that will be in areas with higher cost of living). The military also does some 4th year placements if that is the type of career you are interested in. Those too will pay in the 30-40k range as you are an officer, but you are locking yourself into a minimum 3 year commitment from what I have looked into.

Dustbug and Teucer and any other UAMS people, look into Arkansas Otolaryngology Clinic. My audiology professor did his 4th year there last year and is currently working for them and they are a very legit operation. Biggest ENT group in the state. I also have met the 2 4th years there this year and they said stipend is up to 27-28k I think.

Does anyone know if the 4th year externships can be done in another country or do they have to be completed in the United States?

You can as long as the externship meets ASHA criteria and your supervisor(s) will have current ASHA certification (CCC-A).

I have accepted an externship that has no compensation. Although I wish I had money from whoever wants to give it to me - I personally felt a relief about taking a 4th year without compensation.

Every site varies. I have heard that some sites that give compensation then infer that the student is (at times) essentially an "audio-bitch" and/or tech. I have heard that the student can seem more like a staff member and must take on the grunt work, especially when a staff member quits, and a replacement is not hired. Grunt work is expected, yes, but not when it is sacrificing the well-rounded experience you, as a student, should be getting.

For example, I know someone who received little training in cochlear implants, which is the reason she took a specific 4th year. Because a staff member left, she was the person to fill in (instead of hiring a new employee). Because of that, she did not touch a hearing aid or cochlear implant until the end of her 4th year and ended up contacting a solely CI site to try to get some hands-on experience. I'm not saying that the fact that she was paid was why she was in that situation, but sometimes if you receive a stipend/salary from a clinic, your needs as a student may become less important than their needs as a clinic.

I am happy that my future 4th year site views me as a student who will practice and explore all of the areas it has to offer with appropriate supervision. Though I must say, that I was lucky enough to interview in a location where I can live with family for free.

In the end, once I graduate I will (knock on wood) have a job and pay back my loans. I know that the loans I am accruing from grad school have a definite occupation/salary in the end. That's when I'll worry about money. Until then, I'm just going to relax and enjoy the ride.