epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At what point do 4th year grades stop mattering? Background: I've already submitted ERAS, my school has uploaded my transcript, and find I myself on a malignant away rotation that I don't feel is going well. I had initially counted on getting a letter from this, but come to find out I don't need one. I'm trying my best and not trying to do the senioritis thing, but if my grade sucks, will it hurt me?

operaman

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Passing is really all that matters. You'd probably be well advised to push through and try to keep making a good impression in your away just because people can talk, but so long as you pass that's all that really matters.

Focus on striking a balance between chill rotations and time off with tougher rotations where you will grow and learn.

Reactions: NeuroSpeed
OP
epsilonprodigy

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Cool, I figured as much. On the bright side, this has shown me that I still love my chosen specialty despite the most abysmal circumstances.

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Cool, I figured as much. On the bright side, this has shown me that I still love my chosen specialty despite the most abysmal circumstances.
It happens. I could talk all day about my wonderful surgical away rotation. Being kicked out of the OR, told I was an idiot, seeing third years cry. It was a blast.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Reactions: PL198

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do schools even send out updated transcripts throughout the process? I'm a DO student so the transcript I uploaded in July only included years 1-3. The only way programs will hear about my 4th year grades is from my audition rotation letters.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2011
Port Au Prince
Ummm

Pretty sure many (most?) schools do update your ERAS transcript as they get new grades.

I know mine did.

Probably wouldn't look so hot to get a PASS on an away rotation in your future field.

I'd check with your school before slacking off too hard. That being said, after away rotations are done feel free to do the bare minimum.

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Ummm

Pretty sure many (most?) schools do update your ERAS transcript as they get new grades.

I know mine did.

Probably wouldn't look so hot to get a PASS on an away rotation in your future field.

I'd check with your school before slacking off too hard. That being said, after away rotations are done feel free to do the bare minimum.
Not really a question of if they'll do it. But when.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do schools even send out updated transcripts throughout the process?
For what it's worth, this is a direct quote from my home institution (dean's office): "...we will scan your official medical school transcript into ERAS. We will only be able to scan one official transcript for you. If you receive a 4th year grade later on that you wish a residency program to know about, it's okay to take an updated transcript with you to your interviews. Program directors expect that."

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For what it's worth, this is a direct quote from my home institution (dean's office): "...we will scan your official medical school transcript into ERAS. We will only be able to scan one official transcript for you. If you receive a 4th year grade later on that you wish a residency program to know about, it's okay to take an updated transcript with you to your interviews. Program directors expect that."
Hey welcome back, it's been forever

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ummm

I know mine did.

Oh what this is news to me

Aug 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
So I did an away and got my grade back recently so it's not on my transcript but it will be on my MSPE. I want PDs to see this grade/eval so is it enough that it's on my MSPE only?

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my program, once you send your transcript nothing else will update unless you specifically go to the bursar's office and pay to have a new transcript sent. So, transcripts for most of us include only one MS4 rotation. MSPE covers MS3 only at our school.

Mar 13, 2014
Status
Medical Student
My school doesn't include 4th year grades on transcript or grades/evals on MSPE, so