4th year interested in radiology post ERAS opening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julius_pepperwood11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year who has already applied this cycle for IM. Long story short, I'm starting to think I might have been a far better fit for DR. Rather than dwell on my reasoning, I am reaching out here mostly to find out what my options even would be at this stage. From what I have been able to gather, my options seem to be:

1. submit radiology apps now (almost 4 weeks after ERAS has opened; and with no rads LOR): I assume this is a pipedream.

2. continue on the IM path and reevaluate my thoughts after a few months of intern year. If I still want to do DR early in intern year, how would I go about transferring? My understanding is that I could a. find a spot outside the match for R1/PGY2 year, or b. reapply to the match amidst intern year to both "physician" and advanced positions with the latter requiring taking a year off after intern year. My other question is - if I did reapply to the match as an intern, would I risk losing my spot in categorical IM even if I didn't match rads?

Am I missing any other options?

Also would be interested in my realistic odds of making any of this happen as a USDO with a Step 1: 229; step 2: 250; and an otherwise pretty mediocre app.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not submit apps for radiology this cycle and see what happens? If you're fine with community programs you might still have a chance as people cancel interviews. Perhaps also email the PC at programs you're most interested in so they're aware. You've got nothing to lose. Switching after intern year starts will be hard.

Also would be interested in my realistic odds of making any of this happen as a USDO with a Step 1: 229; step 2: 250; and an otherwise pretty mediocre app.

There are a few DO's with similar stats to you who applied this year. They have 6-18 interviews. Class rank, pubs, and LOR's are probably the difference. You won't get an invite from top 20 programs, but you should match somewhere in the midwest, south, or less competitive NE programs.

1. submit radiology apps now (almost 4 weeks after ERAS has opened; and with no rads LOR): I assume this is a pipedream.

IDK. Hard to say how this will affect your chances. Historical data from NRMP indicates ~25% of invites go out in December/January. No rads LOR hurts but it isn't a killer. They definitely can't all say internal medicine at the bottom, and they should give reasons why you would be a good radiologist, etc.
You definitely need experience with rads too - to convince PD's you know what you're getting into.

2. continue on the IM path and reevaluate my thoughts after a few months of intern year. If I still want to do DR early in intern year, how would I go about transferring? My understanding is that I could a. find a spot outside the match for R1/PGY2 year, or b. reapply to the match amidst intern year to both "physician" and advanced positions with the latter requiring taking a year off after intern year. My other question is - if I did reapply to the match as an intern, would I risk losing my spot in categorical IM even if I didn't match rads?

How the transfer goes will be entirely dependent on your program director. Expect to lose your spot when you tell them you want to transfer to rads. They will start looking for a replacement for the next year immediately.
If you match into an IM residency that will limit your IRP to 3 years. This will make many community programs skip over your app entirely. Academic places usually don't seem to mind.
You can look outside the match and in the match simultaneously. If you get an offer prior to the rank list certification deadline just withdraw from the match and you won't have a match violation or anything like that.

Best of luck with your decision making!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you match IM you will only have three years of funding and you will have to sit out an extra year. I think the move would be wait a year and reapply the right way and get a great program. Or if you don't want to wait get a prelim year now and try to apply rads without LOR.
If you match a prelim without categorical you might be able to match direct to PGY-2 (ie first year of rads) next year during your prelim.
If it were me (current intern), I'd say trying to apply during intern year would be a nightmare. I'd recommend applying the right way next year, you'll likely match into a better program.

Can you delay graduation, and apply to pgy1 IM-prelim and advanced radiology programs next cycle? You can do research this year, and boost your application.

DM me and I can recommend a terrible program where they will abuse you for 4 years with minimal/no teaching but after 4 years you get to leave and be a radiologist.

Reactions: 2 users