4th Year, just started thinking about gas, need major advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinkinggas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I need some serious advice. Just recently decided that I might like to pursue anesthesia as a specialty. I'm currently a fourth year who was thinking about doing a prelim year in surgery while I thought about my career. BUT recently just began thinking about anesthesia.

Me as a student:
A,B,Cs pre-clinical years
As, Bs clinical years
Step I - 190
Step II - 200
some research in other fields with 1 or 2 publications

1) What should I do at this point as it's too late to apply?
2) Do I even have a shot at some of the more competitive programs? Will I receive interviews with my board scores or get cut-off?
3) Would a year of research at a big-time institution be worth it and help me that much?
4) Should look to scramble into a position?

I'm very confused...please help! thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You're in a difficult position to say the least. You're best bet might be to just go ahead and do a prelim year in surgery or medicine and reapply next year. What may hurt you next year are your scores. You need to get good letters of rec and keep your options open.

You can try the scramble and see what comes up. Every year, there is always a suprise program that has to scramble to fill its slots for one reason or another so if you are quick on the draw you can possibly get into a good program.

Be persistent and you will get into a good program.

UTSouthwestern certainly has a better grasp on all of this than I do (and I think already covered all the bases), but I would just reiterate that if you are already in the 2005 Match it's probably too late to apply to programs this year. You can check FREIDA at the AMA website and see what programs will accept applications until 1/31/05, but you better hurry (most had app deadline cut-offs in November and December). Likewise, if you don't have at least one gas letter, you're probably going to have an especially difficult time getting an interview this late in the game. Most programs are done interviewing (or wrapping-up very soon).

Best bet is to try to scramble into an open spot. Do an anesthesia rotation now, get a letter, and prepare to scramble. Or, as UTSouthwestern said, go ahead do your prelim year (in surgery or whatever) and apply for a PGY-2/CA-1 spot in advanced programs to start July 2006, making sure you do a one-month elective in anesthesia during that year, and get a few good letters along the way.

Good luck!

-Skip

I would do a TY or prelim year and then think about it, and reapply. Interview-wise you're pretty late for this year. Now for sure I'd do the rotation now, whatever else soon, as well. As for the scramble, yes there will be open spots. But if you do scramble into one blindly you could be really really unhappy for a number of years. I think that the 'whew, I got a categorical spot' relief would wear off quick once you actually get to Sioux City General Hospital or whatever for your anesthesia residency. In other words the possibility exists that you could scramble into a dirtbag program. Also beware that when Mass General or Hopkins don't fill, it's not because they didn't get enough interest in the program... they're hardly looking to fill in those spots in a scramble.

Other suggestions:
Look for a prelim year at a place with a residency. Do a month elective, hang out on your off-time.

Make sure you can find a prelim program that will let you interview a bit. I'm in my TY year now, we have a few people interviewing because they either didn't match last year, changed their minds last minute, or just never decided on what to do. They all didn't have much trouble scheduling an easy month where they just don't show up much.