4th year rotation choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am setting up my fourth year rotations, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things I should select. I am thinking of going into FP, so any suggestions of super valuable rotations would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For FP, in addition to FP sub-I (if offered by your school) - emergency med, ob/gyn, ID, diabetes/endocrine, preventive med, outpt psych, outpt med, geriatrics, peds specialty.

If you have to do a critical care rotation I'd try to do one of the cardiac units, since you'll be seeing a lot of ppl with heart dz as a FP doc. Maybe consider nephrology or ophthalmology electives as well (long-term effects of HTN, DM....). If you have to do a surgery service, maybe vascular? Oh, and everyone should take radiology.

Hey Guys,

I am setting up my fourth year rotations, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things I should select. I am thinking of going into FP, so any suggestions of super valuable rotations would be great.

Thanks!

Rotations that you will not have a chance to do during residency are important. Ob/gyn is very useful to Family Med residents, but you'll have to rotate through L&D as an intern anyway. Same goes for Emergency Med, geriatrics, and peds.

I actually thought that urology was useful - learning about prostate exams and chronic foley management can be very helpful for family med, and you usually don't rotate through urology as a family med resident.

Rehab medicine is also surprisingly useful for family med - a lot of the patients in rehab (s/p stroke, traumatic spinal cord injury, etc.) will have long term issues that need careful management.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that emergency medicine, OB/Gyn, geri, peds, psych are very important. You will have at least had Ob/Gyn, peds and psych in 3rd year. I personally think EM should be required in 4th year along with neuro but Look at the curriculum of the family medicine residencies that you are interested in matching at and see what they offer/require.

Cardiology, neuro, nephro, GI, pulm, ophtho, orthopedics, pain/anesthesia (regional blocks), pallative care, radiology are all possibilities as well.

Chronic pain is a huge issue and taking a pain elective should be helpful for family med.

I'm doing Allergy and Immunology (Asthma and Allergy clinic + Immune Deficiency Clinic). I don't know if you do that during FP, but it'd be great for any primary care. I'm in a peds and adults clinic associated with the children's hospital. I have more of an interest in the immune side from college, and a personal interest in the allergy which is why I picked it, and I'll be doing nothing related to primary care.

The attendings have all asked how on earth I ended up doing that elective if I'm going into ortho. I'm basically learning asthma and allergy management.