4th year rotation in critical care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good critical care 4th year rotation maybe with/without an emphasis on cardiology in either allopathic or osteopathic programs?

Members don't see this ad.

You could pretty much shoot in the dark to find a program with your requirements - with or without cardiology focus, and either allo or osteo. That would be any program, no?

In terms of planning a rotation as a fourth year med student, I would recommend you decide if you want either surgical or medical ICU, and then go from there. You could also look at: 1) What do you want to do for a career? 2) Whom do you want the majority of the teaching to come from? 3) What type of patients do you wanna see?

I can give my highest recommendation, without any reservation, to doing a SICU rotation in Cleveland Clinic's Department of Anesthesiology. It was, simply put, an extraordinary medical student experience. All but one of the admitting attendings are INCREDIBLE anesthesiologists/intensivists (the one surgeon is BRILLIANT, doesn't operate, and just does SICU). You wanna do some lines? You want lectures? Wanna see what (almost) no other hospital in the USA will do? Want to be treated with respect and autonomy EVEN as a med student? Check this place out. Really. F*ck what everyone says about the Clinic when they're bashing it...this place is the real deal. A lot of folks bash the Clinic related to the anesthesiology residency program (which I, by the way, think is an extremely strong experience in my limited knowledge), but the SICU is a crown jewel. It's as low stress or as high test as you wanna make it. You could come in a 715 and leave at 430 everyday without fail, or you could work your week and take "fellow call" on the weekends (7 am to 12 am, Fri - Sun; I pooped out on Sun afternoon and had to split a little early). Whatever - I'm rambling. The place rocks, the housing is FREE, and they even give you a meal allowence on call.

Best

dc

You could pretty much shoot in the dark to find a program with your requirements - with or without cardiology focus, and either allo or osteo. That would be any program, no?

In terms of planning a rotation as a fourth year med student, I would recommend you decide if you want either surgical or medical ICU, and then go from there. You could also look at: 1) What do you want to do for a career? 2) Whom do you want the majority of the teaching to come from? 3) What type of patients do you wanna see?

I can give my highest recommendation, without any reservation, to doing a SICU rotation in Cleveland Clinic's Department of Anesthesiology. It was, simply put, an extraordinary medical student experience. All but one of the admitting attendings are INCREDIBLE anesthesiologists/intensivists (the one surgeon is BRILLIANT, doesn't operate, and just does SICU). You wanna do some lines? You want lectures? Wanna see what (almost) no other hospital in the USA will do? Want to be treated with respect and autonomy EVEN as a med student? Check this place out. Really. F*ck what everyone says about the Clinic when they're bashing it...this place is the real deal. A lot of folks bash the Clinic related to the anesthesiology residency program (which I, by the way, think is an extremely strong experience in my limited knowledge), but the SICU is a crown jewel. It's as low stress or as high test as you wanna make it. You could come in a 715 and leave at 430 everyday without fail, or you could work your week and take "fellow call" on the weekends (7 am to 12 am, Fri - Sun; I pooped out on Sun afternoon and had to split a little early). Whatever - I'm rambling. The place rocks, the housing is FREE, and they even give you a meal allowence on call.

Best

dc
-

Members don't see this ad :)

Best

dc

You've sold me on Cleveland. Do they do electives all year round? How easy is it to setup a rotation there?

I'm glad I did. And you, most likely, will not be disappointed.

You need the requisites to get the rotation - you're a medical student in whatever year they specify (look at the CCF website for all this stuff), your school has the right malpractice agreement/contract with CCF, etc.

Like everything else at CCF, they are big-time on students...if you try to go in July or August or Sept this calendar year, I would start to schedule the elective NOW. I went in October, and there were about 20 other visiting students starting the same day as me.

As a disclaimer, and to state the obvious, you get out of the rotation what you put into the rotation. If you "just" do general anesthesiology - I'm not judging, I'm just saying - there is the very high likelihood that you will spend the first week confused, but then get to do a ton of intubations and IVs...that's what the 3 guys that I got to know said. But they were also out by 12 pm or 1 pm EVERYDAY. If you're coming from the other side of the country to do 5 hrs/day, you might not feel the same way I do about the place, but hell, you might like it more. Just a heads up.

Good luck with it. There are a TON of CCF folks on this message board, and they've been very helpful with me - you can always PM them for a more inside point of view.

dc