4th year rotations for a potential pediatrician?

Started by sn2bdo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sn2bdo

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! I'm nervous for 4th year. Rotations that have been suggested are Allergy, Derm, ENT, Anesthesia, Neuro, ER, Rad, and Ortho and I will have 24 weeks to do them.

My electives scheduled for 3rd year thus far are ENT (2 weeks), Sports Med (2 weeks of Ortho), Pulmonology (4 weeks), Research (in Ortho for a month), and an extra 4 weeks in Peds above what's required.

I had an internist acquaintance suggest an ICU rotation. I'm also possibly interested in a fellowship in either endocrinology or heme-onc. I don't and won't have any 3rd year rotations in either of these.

Is it better in the 4th year to do a bunch of 2 week rotations in all of the above? Are there some I should opt to do 4 weeks in? Is there anything I should knock off this list completely in the 4th year?

Help! and thank you!
 
A quick search of the last 2 months yielded this thread http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503164 on the topic.

Why so much ortho? Are you applying in both fields? (just curious)

I did months in Peds ID, GI, and a Neo Sub-I. Both ID and GI are good rotations to have under your belt, I think. The Neo Sub-I was for possible fellowship interests. Others suggest covering topics you won't cover in residency such as optho and ortho and such.
 
I did a wards Sub-I, PICU, Cards, and Heme-Onc. Cards and heme-onc were for fellowship possibilities and (IMO) didn't provide a whole lot of basic peds management that would have been good to have as a 4th year.

My wards sub-I, i thought, was of absolute importance, in that it was brought up in at least every other interview I attended. The PICU was fun too, if you need to do an ICU rotation.

Peds ER or Peds ID I would have liked to have done, given that they provide such broad exposure, which would have been great.

My 2 cents 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much for the help! I should have searched electives instead of rotations, my bad. And no, never in my wildest dreams would I want to be an orthopod. It just seems the way that things shook out so I could get a research rotation (which is actually still pending) and the 2 weeks of Sports Med was already scheduled.

My question still is, do I do a bunch of 2 week rotations or pair down the list and do 4 weeks in a few. I think I'm good in ortho, do I need to do more than 2 weeks in ENT? Now that everyone is suggesting ID, Ophtho, and GI it's further is adding to my confusion.
 
Thanks so much for the help! I should have searched electives instead of rotations, my bad. And no, never in my wildest dreams would I want to be an orthopod. It just seems the way that things shook out so I could get a research rotation (which is actually still pending) and the 2 weeks of Sports Med was already scheduled.

My question still is, do I do a bunch of 2 week rotations or pair down the list and do 4 weeks in a few. I think I'm good in ortho, do I need to do more than 2 weeks in ENT? Now that everyone is suggesting ID, Ophtho, and GI it's further is adding to my confusion.
this is all personal opinion and I don't start residency 'til next week, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't think there are any wrong answers here anyway.

Hmm, on the couple of rotations I had where I did only 2 weeks, I felt like I got the flavor of the specialty but not enough experience to be really comfortable. Personally, I would choose a couple of interesting 4 week rotations over more 2 week ones.

2 weeks in ENT or any surgical specialty where you won't ever be doing that again should be enough, I'd think. Do the 4 week rotations in pedi specialties where you'll learn to dx & treat things you'll use again as a pediatrician.
 
Thank you! I feel like it's the best information I've received thus far. Have a great year!
 
I spent my 4th year primarily on month long rotations in Peds Onc, PICU, basic science classes, research, Peds BMT / palliative care, other classes on cross-cover, internship basics etc... and three 2 week rotations (Peds ED, Adult ED, and Peds Neuro). The 2 week rotations other than Peds ED were required by my med school.

I wouldn't fret too much on trying to see everything. I had the same feeling but that is what residency is for. If you are thinking peds in the long run, you'll have an opportunity to see all types of peds so I would go with the 4 week options so that you can get a good experience. Like above, the 2 week rotations were really hard to get a handle on.

As for what you should select, I would suggest that you look at what might peak your interest most. Your 4th year should be fun and so if you are on a rotation that you have some interest in, it will make learning easier and definitely more fun.

Just my 2 cents.