4th Year Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patel1283

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning my 4th year schedule. I plan on doing a home radiology rotation early to earn a letter of recommendation and a research away at my top program of choice. I find it difficult to come up with a 4th year schedule since I am not sure what would be useful for radiology. So here are my questions:
1) Any electives you recommend?
2) Does it matter when I do my AI (i.e., February before match)?
3) Is it possible to make the easiest 4th year schedule without any repercussions on the interview trail?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

any clinical specialty that uses imaging (so, not child psychiatry), or pathology or informatics
Not even necessary to have an AI.
3) Is it possible to make the easiest 4th year schedule without any repercussions on the interview trail?
Yes. I was asked only once what I was taking 4th year, during a prelim medicine interview.

- i was told to only do one radiology elective at my home program and then be hands off. some did IR to get a 2nd letter or "more clinical" letter, and told to do aways in California or top tier programs if I wanted a better shot at interviewing. Remember for rads, away rotations can be a big risk since it's hard to show more than just interest. Also, this may be your last chance to really do electives you're interested in before you have to be an intern.

- no, only do what is required for graduation. if for some reason you had poor (i.e. 3/5) grades in surgery or medicine and you wanted to show improvement, you could do it earlier. personally i did mine earlier to get it over with and study for CK.

- yes and no. radiology, way more than i expected, wants to know who you are and that you have more interests than just radiology. multiple top tier programs asked questions ranging from "what classes are you taking" to "what was your favorite elective." while it certainly doesn't hurt, it's nice to have something to answer rather than just "nutrition consults."