4th year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecided3yr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to set up my 4th year schedule soon. I was wondering if there were any reccomendations for electives that will be useful in Neurology residency/practice.

My school does a real bad job of explaining things, so I was wondering when I should schedule away rotations and what would be good to do during interview season.

Any advice for setting up the schedule would be greatly appreciated. :D

Members don't see this ad.

undecided3yr said:
I have to set up my 4th year schedule soon. I was wondering if there were any reccomendations for electives that will be useful in Neurology residency/practice.

My school does a real bad job of explaining things, so I was wondering when I should schedule away rotations and what would be good to do during interview season.

Any advice for setting up the schedule would be greatly appreciated. :D

Personally, I think the best time to schedule away/audition rotations are at the very end of your 3rd year, or the first couple of months of 4th year. That way, you still have time to get strong letters of recommendation from the attendings /faculty at these rotations. If you want to get into an academic/ research program, I would recommend rotating at big name places and getting letters from the neurology department head at that program. If you have your heart set on a particular program, make sure you rotation there because that will pretty much ensure that you get at least an interview.

As for which elective rotations to do, everyone always says that it doesn't really matter because you end up learning everything during residency. However, that being said, I think that a neurosurgery and ophtho rotation are both great supplements to your neurology education (I did both and found it extremely helpful). Good luck to you and congrats on picking an awesome field!