4th year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snaggletooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I tried posting this on auntminnies, but got almost no feedback.
I'm halfway done w/ 3rd year (I'm a med student) and am thinking of doing about 3 aways in rads. Does this sound like a good #? too many? My real dilemma however, is when to try and set these up. I'm finishing 3rd year around the end of May which leaves me around 3 mos until I'm going to want to have my app OUT. So I'm thinking to start my sub-i right out of the blocks 4th year so I can get a solid medicine letter and then follow up w/ 3 straight rad aways so I can try to impress the attendings and residents at the programs I'm interested in. Does this sound like a good plan of attack? Is this too many rad electives crammed into one for a 3rd year? How long is the average rad elective? I'm assuming 2-4 wks. Thanks for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Most rotations last 4 weeks. Will you take a Rad elective at your own institution? This way when you do your away rotationw, you would have some fundamental knowledge already. I would recommend doing only two Rad electives. If you do your subintership in July, then August and September Rads, you will be at your home institution when interview letters and some interviews start in October. Good luck.

Just my opinion, but I have seen this backfire on students in the past and I do not reccomend it at all. If you have a magnificent personality, then you may improve your chances by doing away rotations. Otherwise, it is IMO more likely to hurt you than help. The problem is that when you rotate at a program, they see you everyday and learn your personality too well. I don't care how nice and intelligent you are, some of the residents will find personality trait(s) about you that they don't necessarily agree with. It only takes one statement by you that one attending or resident has a different opinion on and you are down that persons list whether they admit it or not. It is sort of like fredericks of hollywood versus penthouse. Unless you are a supermodel so to speak, it is best not to completely expose yourself; leave a little mystery.

As far as impressing attendings and residents I would offer this advice: be careful and don't try to hard. The biggest way to impress people is with what you have accomplished not what you can learn about radiology in a short period of time. Let your CV and board scores do the talking. Oh and when you do rotate through rads never spit out an answer unless it was specifically directed at you. Certainly ask intelligent questions when you think of them but don't try to ask questions aimed at showing how intelligent/knowledgable you are because everyone will see through that. Show your interest in the field by learning and reading and just being genuine. When the staff directs a question at you then it is your time to emmit some gamma rays but do it in a humble way.

Im rambling, but I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback from both of you.:clap:
Let me just add a grain of salt to the 2nd though b/c I think it may still be in my best interest to do 1 or 2. Reason I say so is that I want to make these aways at a few programs I'm interested in, but don't think I would normally get interviews at b/c my #'s are just avg. boo hoo. So I'm hoping to, in your words emit a few gamma rays, and stand out where my #s don't. Thanks again.:)

Embolicintent has some insightful thoughts about away rad rotations.
How do residency admission committees make up their decisions?
1. Numerical scores
2. Dean's letters (very important). If you have not done so, take a look and anticipate questions that you maybe asked. At my institution, I was allowed to revise my letter.
3. Recommendation letters.
4. Intangibles but important - reliability, able to handle the calls, team player.
5. Aptitude - will this resident be able to pass the boards and not screw up the high rate of passage of the program.