4th Years: What are you doing between now and graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UKingdom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 4th year who's on his last rotation, I'm going to have a couple months off before intern year starts. I've never hard more free time in my life, it's ridiculous. I figure that's all about to change in a few months so I might as well enjoy it, right?

Just curious what interesting and fun things everyone has done or plans on doing before they start Intern Year. There is of course the standard "traveling, hanging out with friends, etc" I'm basically going to have April and May off.

I'm looking for interesting international opportunities and programs specifically (particularly Australia or South America or Spain), but just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions of things to do or wouldn't mind sharing their experiences. Obviously it's a little last minute to find something but I figure better late than never, and maybe there's still spots available for fun things to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you match, there are plenty of things to do if you are moving. I essentially didn't have anything between the MATCH and graduation except to show up and collect my diploma. I ended up using that time to purchase a house and move. I was good to be settled in by the time my PGY-1 year started.

Once you start residency, there isn't much time to get things organized so that time came in pretty handy. It went by pretty fast. If you don't have to move for residency, then try to do something but R & R is a very good thing. I also got a nice jump on USMLE Step 3 too.

I am doing a radiology elective right now which takes up oh, about 4 hours of my day M-F so I spend the rest of that time making plans about moving for residency--things I need to buy, which car I'm going to get, selling off stuff I don't need anymore, ect--and then relaxing by renting lots of movies, reading for enjoyment, talking with friends, going out on weekends and evenings, spending time with my family since I plan on moving out of state. I have another rotation after this but then will have about 4 wks off before graduation. During that time I'm going to travel to whatever place I'm moving to and pick out a place to live. Depending on when residency starts for me I'll have another several weeks for moving and maybe visiting some friends in other states before orientation starts. I just wish I knew where I was going now so I could start making definitive plans for next year already.