4th yr scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medadviceseeker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I love the advice that is given on this site, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some issues I'm having regarding 4th year and applying for residency.

I'm currently a 3rd yr student, and have struggled throughout my rotations. I ended up having to delay some core requirements into 4th year (hard rotation), which means I technically won't be "done" with 3rd yr until the end of August. I REALLY want to graduate on time with a residency. I'm not looking to get matched to an amazing residency. I just want to get an average internal med residency.

When would be the best time to schedule step 2CK? Realistically, I will not have any time off until the end of August. I haven't scheduled my 4th yr yet, and will decide when to take time off to study for step 2 based on what you guys recommend. I didn't do well on step 1 (200-210 range), and would ideally like residency programs to see my step 2 score. How long would you recommend studying for step 2? When is the absolute latest I can take it and still be able to show residency programs? Can I hold my application until my scores come in or is that not recommended?

Lastly, when would be the best time to take sub-Is? I know people use those rotations for LORs, but considering the earliest I can take a sub-I is in sept, I doubt I could even get a LOR. In light of that, would you recommend taking time off to study for step 2 first, or would you still recommend taking a sub-I early in 4th year?

I know I asked a lot of questions, and I appreciate you guys taking the time out to read (and hopefully give feedback). I also know my situation sounds iffy, but I'm REALLY determined to make this work. Pleeeease help me by giving me constructive feedback! Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd focus on getting LORs from attendings during your 3rd year. As you said, doing a subI in sept will only land you a LOR in october, which is late for IM. I'd use that month to study a crush step 2, then do an away rotation at a place you feel you'd be competitive at (if you're a good rotator) to lock down a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot for your reply! would you recommend doing a sub-I at my own school before doing away rotations? I'm thinking its better to just do the away rotations first, so I have an opportunity to show potential residencies what I can do

Yeah. You just don't have time to do a sub-i at home before doing an away.

You're on a similar time schedule as the mdphd students at my school. They just went and did away sub-is before a home rotation for that reason. Make sure you really gun out and kill your away rotation to lock down a program. Keep asking for feedback throughout 3rd year so all the bugs are worked out and youre completely solid.