4th yr surgery rotation

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by doctah27, Jan 4, 2009.

1. doctah27

2+ Year Member

anybody know of any surgery rotations---subspecialties of any kind---where free or reasonably priced housin is available and preferably laid back ....I really hate surgery and am lookin for a relaxed one...help! :)

2. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What does your school consider surgical rotations? We can do opthalmology and anesthesia and they are considered surgery electives. I've heard other students say that derm was a surgery elective for them.
    Henry Ford has optho electives and they provide free housing for students. I've heard that the optho rotations at Henry Ford are really high yield learning in a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere(I'm doing two optho electives there).

Mt.Clemens Regional Medical Center is a very friendly (DO) hospital and provides student housing- has gyn surgery electives that seemed pretty benign (I didn't like OB/Gyn just because it was OB/Gyn, but the attendings overall seemed pretty nice), anesthesia electives that have pretty short days(7-3ish) (most of the attendings are nice in anesthesia) and ENT electives that have hours that are pretty much 7am-5pm. The ENT attendings and residents seem very nice:).
    Good luck!:)

#2 futuredo32, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. NavyOfficerDO

I'm a 4th year osteopathic medical student and did my surgical sub-I in anesthesia... it was really laid back. Two of my classmates also did their surgery fourth years this year in anesthesia and different hospitals and had the same thing to say... hopefully your school recognizes that as a sub-surgery specialty :)

4. doctah27

2+ Year Member

thanks for the input! :) anesthesiology sounds tempting b/c of the short hours, learn some intubation.....but am not thrilled about the pharm aspect of it. at first i was intrigued by trauma surgery or neurosurgery but I thought, do I really wanna work like a mad woman?

yeah 4th yr, i'm trying to make it a vacation. not bad, eh? :laugh:

optho sounds great..i'll have to look into those michigan programs since i'm pretty much in that area anyways. free housing --always good!