5 credit Ochem vs 2 semester Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I took a 5 credit, condensed version of Organic chemistry that covered all of what is usually a 2 semester course. (total 8 credits). It's recommended for life/biomedical sciences that are NOT going into pure chemistry or biochemistry majors.

This 5 credit class is an alternate prereq for Biochemistry, and so I've essentially covered all of my chemistry prereqs. My pre-vet advisor seemed pretty happy with my progression, grades, etc.
HOWEVER, most vet schools advertise that they require the 2 semester, 8 credit version. I know CSU and WSU are ok with the 5 credit version because they get a lot of students from my university. I'm just not sure about some of the eastern schools like Cornell, Penn and Virginia Tech. I've called and they were extremely unhelpful and wishy-washy. I will probably call again, but I'd like to know if any of you have heard of whether that's accepted.
The schools are really the best source. If they were wishy-washy (which they usually are not), then I would speculate that the answer is no.

If they say 8 credits, then take 8 credits. End of story.
 
Last year I took a 5 credit, condensed version of Organic chemistry that covered all of what is usually a 2 semester course. (total 8 credits). It's recommended for life/biomedical sciences that are NOT going into pure chemistry or biochemistry majors.

This 5 credit class is an alternate prereq for Biochemistry, and so I've essentially covered all of my chemistry prereqs. My pre-vet advisor seemed pretty happy with my progression, grades, etc.
HOWEVER, most vet schools advertise that they require the 2 semester, 8 credit version. I know CSU and WSU are ok with the 5 credit version because they get a lot of students from my university. I'm just not sure about some of the eastern schools like Cornell, Penn and Virginia Tech. I've called and they were extremely unhelpful and wishy-washy. I will probably call again, but I'd like to know if any of you have heard of whether that's accepted.

I had a similar course question (one condensed gen chem lab instead of two separate) for Cornell and they were definitely not wishy-washy about it. Perhaps you caught them at a bad time? They also might ask that you email them the course syllabus or more specifics about your situation so they have something to review.
 
I also took a condensed O Chem and to apply to schools that wanted two semesters, I had to pick up a second semester. I chose the second semester of the yearlong sequence.

Additionally, some schools require two semesters of O Chem lab. At CSU, there is only one semester of lab for the yearlong sequence. It seems inane, and I feel like it is, but to satisfy these schools that I have two semesters of O Chem lab, I am taking the same lab twice. When talking to their admissions people, I was quite clear that I will simply be retaking the same lab and learning nothing new, but they said it didn't matter how I got that second semester of lab...I just had to have a second semester of lab, even if one DIDN'T TECHNICALLY EXIST. Lolsigh.

So yeah, you're probably out of luck. Talk to the admissions people at each school, and if you can't get a straight answer, go up the food chain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.