5 credits of Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JuniorJumper

UF CVM Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to Texas A&M this cycle from out of state and their pre-reqs include 5 credits of biochemistry, not including credits earned from a lab. My university only offers 4 credit biochemistry classes, all of which are considered "Biochem 1". Is there a distance learning program through any of the universities which offer Biochem 1 and 2 and add up to 5 credits total? All of the other schools I am looking at only require 3 or 4 credits of biochem!
 
it says BICH 410 & 411 so it looks like two semesters of lecture. someone else will probably be able to confirm for sure. 🙂 if not, call the school.
 
grasping at straws here...are you sure that it's 5 semester credits of biochem and not 5 quarter credits? It's definitely worth it to call admissions and explain your situation--you never know, they might let it go. Otherwise, it looks like you may have to find an online course (probably one offered from a large university)...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I e-mailed them a little while back about this, as I was quite confused as well! What they mean is either a 5 credit biochem course that covers everything in one semester, or two 3 or 4 credits biochem classes (biochem 1 and 2) taken over two semesters. They made a really big point of letting me know that (rough quote here) "the 5 credits of biochemistry are non-negotiable." So I guess if your school has one of the 1 semester survey of biochem classes, and its less than 5 credits, you may have to take to somewhere else to get those 5 credits.
 
Some schools are flexible, I forget which one I applied to, but it said 5 credits and I applied with 3 and wasnt disqualified. Of course always ask the school directly, and dont take advice as serious as this from SDN
 
Last edited: