5 hour energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geneticist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these work? I'm considering abusing these tomorrow but I'm not sure how I'll react to them.

Also, this is going to sound stupid but I'll ask anyway, if I take one right after another, will that supposedly allow me to stay awake for ten hours or am I going to hit the wall eventually? I mean I'm obviously not going to be taking 4 or 5 in a row looking to stay up for days on end, just for about 10 hours or so to stay awake during lecture and not crash my car on the drive home.

Members don't see this ad.

they work, especially if you put the shot in a red bull, and then drink an espresso, and then maybe smoke a cigarette, and if you happen to have adderall laying around....

they work, especially if you put the shot in a red bull, and then drink an espresso, and then maybe smoke a cigarette, and if you happen to have adderall laying around....
I was going to do all that then top it off with an 8 ball of coke. That should be enough get me through the day...

But honestly, I feel like I'm going to need to down at least two of those things to get through tomorrow. Eight hours of lecture/lab, a test, and a dress rehearsal is going to be the death of me. Any *legit* suggestions to help stay awake?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these work? I'm considering abusing these tomorrow but I'm not sure how I'll react to them.

Also, this is going to sound stupid but I'll ask anyway, if I take one right after another, will that supposedly allow me to stay awake for ten hours or am I going to hit the wall eventually? I mean I'm obviously not going to be taking 4 or 5 in a row looking to stay up for days on end, just for about 10 hours or so to stay awake during lecture and not crash my car on the drive home.

They work for me but not for some of my friends. I take them when I have to drive somewhere far, and they give me about 4-5 hours of energy at most (depends on how tired I am already). Warning: you will crash, even though it claims that you won't, so be prepared to feel sleepy. Not sure about the stacking, but I doubt they do. What I usually do is take half of it and take the other half 2 hours later.

I was going to do all that then top it off with an 8 ball of coke. That should be enough get me through the day...

But honestly, I feel like I'm going to need to down at least two of those things to get through tomorrow. Eight hours of lecture/lab, a test, and a dress rehearsal is going to be the death of me. Any suggestions to help stay awake?

should keep you going for the rest of the week... but i definitely wouldnt want to be around you when youre crashing.

They work for me but not for some of my friends. I take them when I have to drive somewhere far, and they give me about 4-5 hours of energy at most (depends on how tired I am already). Warning: you will crash, even though it claims that you won't, so be prepared to feel sleepy. Not sure about the stacking, but I doubt they do. What I usually do is take half of it and take the other half 2 hours later.
I was skeptical as to whether or not they would stack, too. My gut feeling is no, but at this point I'm willing to give it a try. I may do as you do, though, and see if I can get by with one. I just hope I don't end up crashing on my drive home. Pun intended.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that because they contain the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, you'll get the same energy out of one as... a cup of coffee.

If you've never had coffee before, then this will be useless to you. If that is the case, good luck!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that because they contain the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, you'll get the same energy out of one as... a cup of coffee.

If you've never had coffee before, then this will be useless to you. If that is the case, good luck!

Haha I've never tried coffee as a narcotic before... hmm...

It worked for me, but I crashed later and I felt sort of weird while I was doing my work. Luckily, I wasn't doing anything remotely dangerous, so I was fine. On the bottle, it states that it has as much caffeine as "1 cup of strong coffee" IIRC.

It worked for me, but I crashed later and I felt sort of weird while I was doing my work. Luckily, I wasn't doing anything remotely dangerous, so I was fine. On the bottle, it states that it has as much caffeine as "1 cup of strong coffee" IIRC.
How long did it take for you to crash?

i hear sleep works wonders for your next day energy levels, and theres no crash until the next time you go to sleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear sleep works wonders for your next day energy levels, and theres no crash until the next time you go to sleep.
3671_5ef1_876.gif

5 hour energy worked for a little bit for me, but the crash was bad enough I've only tried the stuff twice. On the really rough days I forced myself to work out for at least 30 minutes and take a cold (ish) shower, eat a small healthy meal, and take a coffee with 2-3 shots of espresso on the go :)

It works just as well as a cup of coffee. The crash is the same too. The only advantage is that you can drink it really quickly if you're in a rush. Too bad it tastes like ****.

Oh also, I'm pretty sure it says you should only drink 2 max, several hours apart to be safe.

Doubling up is like drinking 2 cups of coffee instead of 1, nothing dangerous about it. It will make you energetic for longer, but not 2x as long (concept of half life and exponential decay/clearance of caffeine in the body). It will increase side effects of jitteryniss, anxiety, etc, especially if you're prone to that.

The stuff works for me for a a couple hours and from my experience, if you take another one right afterwards, it should keep you going! It gives you a different type of energy than coffee though so I would personally recommend taking half of it at a time whenever you feel yourself losing energy and kinda go easy on it at first.

As a side note, I drank 5 hour energy whenever I studied for the MCAT (and during the MCAT itself) and now whenever I drink it, it literally tastes like MCAT. Needless to say I can't drink it any more...

Like some of the above posts, 5-hour energy, as well as many other energy supplements have different effects on different people. I know I can stay awake for about 30 hours on an Amp. I personally wouldn't take two in a row though. These things aren't good for you.

Unless they've changed since I used them (about 3 years ago), it's just the amount of caffeine everyone has stated and a ridiculous amount of B vitamins (like 2000% daily value or something of the sort). I'm pretty sure the 2000% doesn't matter, because there's no way you can absorb all that in one shot, especially orally.

I had a few hours of pep from it, not 5, but I did not crash (this seems to be on a person by person basis). Also, I had some friends that had weird reactions to it, hives, shortness of breath, etc. Everyone is different *shrug*, but it's definitely not a miracle shot, and it's way too expensive (or was).

Didn't work for me. They actually make you crash pretty badly.

Think of it as doing shots. Do you get screwed up after doing 5 shots of Tequila straight? You bet. Same idea.

They don't even work, and they taste like poison. Just drink coffee.

Think of it as doing shots. Do you get screwed up after doing 5 shots of Tequila straight? You bet. Same idea.
Yea, because everybody knows that caffeine and B vitamins are the same thing as hard liquor.

They don't even work, and they taste like poison. Just drink coffee.

Yea, because everybody knows that caffeine and B vitamins are the same thing as hard liquor.

You mean they dont work FOR YOU. Everyone is different. It works really well for me. I do crash later but I much prefer it to drinking coffee (hurts my stomach

Make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach, I did once, not good... Its like taking a vitamin on an empty stomach

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...march/health/5-hour-energy/overview/index.htm

"A spokeswoman wouldn't disclose the exact amount of caffeine in the product but said that it's comparable to the amount in "a cup of the leading premium coffee." Consumer Reports hasn't tested 5-Hour Energy. But an October 2010 analysis by ConsumerLab.com, an independent group that conducts product evaluations, found that it contained about 207 milligrams of caffeine. (An 8-ounce serving of Starbucks coffee has 180 milligrams of caffeine, according to the company’s website.) The 5-Hour Energy spokeswoman had no comment on the ConsumerLab.com report. We found little if any research showing that other ingredients on the label—including B vitamins and amino acids—would give the average person a boost."

It does work, but for the amount of caffeine you are getting you might as well just get a bottle of caffeine pills like No-Doz, which have 200mg amount of caffeine a capsule, and are $8-9 for 60 count.

But honestly, I feel like I'm going to need to down at least two of those things to get through tomorrow. Eight hours of lecture/lab, a test, and a dress rehearsal is going to be the death of me. Any *legit* suggestions to help stay awake?

Yeah, they affect people differently. I never have tried one, I love coffee too much.

But one point, I would try it out when you don't have anything that day (or very few things to do). You have no idea how it will affect you. If you try it for the first time with the day you have described and it doesn't work/makes you crash/makes you sick/whatever, the consequences could be disastrous (I'm especially looking at that test).

Keep in mind that aside from caffeine and an insane amount of B vitamins (which serve no purpose here really), it also has a ton of niacin which contributes a false sense of energy by making you feel a bit flushed and sometimes augmenting tachycardia.

Niacin has nasty effects in some people, so unless you know how you react, go easy at first. Possible side effects include tremor, tachycardia, anxiety/agitation, getting flushed (literally turning red), itching all over the body, headache, nausea, and GI distress (diarrhea is the last thing you need during a long exam). Just FYI

You get 8333% the amount of Vitamin B12 and 2000% times the amount of vitamin B6. I took about half of a bottle 4-5 hours ago and just got out of the shower...

My hands are completely shriveled. It dried up my skin so badly, I think all the B vitamins dehydrated me. My hands are also shaking pretty badly. My legs feel weak and I'm a little nauseous but, like I said, the unexpected part is that my hands are all jittery and dry now.

Before this though, I felt fine and the stuff was quite effective. Now I'm kind of worried though...

What aisle is this 8-ball coke in? Is it near the other coca-cola products?
No, you gotta see Ronnie on the corner. Tell him Ice-G sent you.

But seriously, I'm a little worried now. My stomach hurts. :( Stupid side effects...

No, you gotta see Ronnie on the corner. Tell him Ice sent you.

But seriously, I'm a little worried now though. My stomach hurts. :( Stupid side effects...

You need medical attention. Seek help ASAP from your closest pre-med...

I would recommend an extra serving of homeless shelter volunteering. If the pain persists, try to relieve the issue with gradually increasing your research hours.

You need medical attention. Seek help ASAP from your closest pre-med service provider...
I'm serious, broski. This isn't normal. My hands look like prunes, my stomach hurts like hell, and my legs have that post-sex burn that happens sometimes. WTF is going on :scared:

Vitamin B: one helluva drug.
When you take 8333% of the daily recommended serving of B12 and 2000% of the daily recommended serving of B6, shizznit hits the fan.

I feel a little better now. That was still weird...

Got none of the energy. Crashed directly (20-30 mins.) after.

When you take 8333% of the daily recommended serving of B12 and 2000% of the daily recommended serving of B6, shizznit hits the fan.

I feel a little better now. That was still weird...

You've recovered. Nice work. :D

Unfortunately, your tolerance has increased accordingly. Tomorrow looks like your gonna have to hit 16,000%.

I heard that if you really wanna knock your socks off, mix your vitamin B with with equal moles vitamin A and C. Synergistic to daa maxxxx. Just make sure you are logged into SDN in case you need any more of our medical advise when fhit hits the san.

You've recovered. Nice work. :D

Unfortunately, your tolerance has increased accordingly. Tomorrow looks like your gonna have to hit 16,000%.

I heard that if you really wanna knock your socks off, mix your vitamin B with with equal moles vitamin A and C. Synergistic to daa maxxxx. Just make sure you are logged into SDN in case you need any more of our medical advise when fhit hits the san.

If I consume equal moles of vitamins A and C, I'll end up being a walking antibiotic with X-ray vision...

Wait a minute... *runs to laboratory*