5 weeks left!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assisted on a bilateral tubal ligation the other day. The patient was a 35 year old who had decided that she didn't want to have any more children. She wanted OCPs but was denied by her doctor because she's a chronic, heavy smoker. She then decided that she'd have the BTL procedure rather than give up smoking. Funny thing: She gots no money, but she gots government aid.

Good thing the rest of us are around to cover the cost.

5 more weeks before 4 straight months of path electives!

Members don't see this ad.

you done with med school after the path electives? or do you still have more clinical **** left?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have four weeks of peds left before I get four weeks of surg path! :thumbup:

I can't wait to get to experience what pathology is like. Then I have a few more months of clinical ****. Then I have a month of blood bank. :cool:

Tomorrow I head out 100 miles away for a week of general peds clinic in the community. :thumbdown:

I still have a month of combined ortho/uro/anesth in december, a primary care month in January, and a Sub-I in March. Other than those pieces, I've got six months to stuff with path or easy, nonmedical electives.

Then, it's bye bye to medical school and doctor-patient edumacation

beary said:
I only have four weeks of peds left before I get four weeks of surg path! :thumbup:

I can't wait to get to experience what pathology is like. Then I have a few more months of clinical ****. Then I have a month of blood bank. :cool:

Tomorrow I head out 100 miles away for a week of general peds clinic in the community. :thumbdown:

One of my classmates was assigned to Community Peds for a week during our Pediatrics clerkship. Thing is, the whole program in that area was shut down for a giant week-long conference at that time, so he was able to talk our course director into letting him shadow the pediatric pathologist at the hospital instead.

Me? I was stuck in the General Practice "Clinico"

beary said:

4 weeks of surgpath will be 4 weeks of pure unadulterated boredom

1. no new patients
2. slides you cant figure out
3. autopsies~ the only action place.

surg path elective sucks.. best of luck

tiffanychang said:

1. no new patients

that's just one opinion. i enjoyed my 3 weeks of surg path during my pathology rotation.

1. no new patients - fine with me. i can deal with that just fine.
2. slides you can't figure out - yes this was frustrating but i got to see some cool stuff and the thought process in deciphering what was going on in the pink & blue slides was explained to me.
3. autopsies - i thought this was OK but not great. i'm not terribly saddened by the fact that i only did one. well, 50 more to go!

bananaface said:
That's an awesome shadow to get to do.

Sorry I can't respond to your previous post about the minipill-- all I know is what they telll me.

Besides, you're supposed to respond with "that's stupid, clinical medicine sucks" ;)

tiffanychang said:

1. no new patients

No new patients? I say great! No more redundant, time consuming H&P's and worthless physical exams. Slides you can't figure out? Great, a challenge. Something that actually involves intellectual acumen, can't complain about that. Autopsies? Also quite interesting and yes, lots of "action" and hands-on. Gross pathology is an art in itself.

Surg path elective? I say have a blast. Enjoy your hiatus from clinical medicine.

Stinger86 said:
Sorry I can't respond to your previous post about the minipill-- all I know is what they telll me.

Besides, you're supposed to respond with "that's stupid, clinical medicine sucks" ;)
I have to put my own spin on it though, and say something like "clinical medicine is teh suxxor!!1111!!!1".

Stinger86 said:
I assisted on a bilateral tubal ligation the other day. The patient was a 35 year old who had decided that she didn't want to have any more children. She wanted OCPs but was denied by her doctor because she's a chronic, heavy smoker. She then decided that she'd have the BTL procedure rather than give up smoking. Funny thing: She gots no money, but she gots government aid.

Good thing the rest of us are around to cover the cost.

I got a better one for you. 38 yo G6P3, with 3 abortions. Tubal ligation like 10 years ago. She got herself a new boyfriend and they thought it would be nice to have a kid. Well, Cook County is one of the only county REI programs in the country. So off she went for a tubal reanastomosis. Sad as it seems, the only ligitimate excuse for tax dollars going to that is to teach residents.

Ursus Martimus said:
I got a better one for you. 38 yo G6P3, with 3 abortions. Tubal ligation like 10 years ago. She got herself a new boyfriend and they thought it would be nice to have a kid. Well, Cook County is one of the only county REI programs in the country. So off she went for a tubal reanastomosis. Sad as it seems, the only ligitimate excuse for tax dollars going to that is to teach residents.
Hmm. Yeah, I have issues with the government paying to unsterilize someone for the purpose of having another child that would require governement assistance. I'm not sure why you care how many abortions she had though. That's a very common procedure.

tiffanychang said:

1. no new patients

OK - for some reason you despise everything to do with pathology, and perhaps you would be best served by not hanging out here and posting this crap. It makes no sense. If you have something constructive to say, then say it. But saying something "sucks" is pretty weak.

Your opinion is a minority opinion.

yaah said:
OK - for some reason you despise everything to do with pathology, and perhaps you would be best served by not hanging out here and posting this crap. It makes no sense. If you have something constructive to say, then say it. But saying something "sucks" is pretty weak.

Your opinion is a minority opinion.
person could be a troll. i'd look for some IP matches. for instance, it could be one of SoCalRules!!! many accounts, if you know what i mean ;)

AndyMilonakis said:
person could be a troll. i'd look for some IP matches. for instance, it could be one of SoCalRules!!! many accounts, if you know what i mean ;)

I already checked. I know from where the person is posting from - and it ain't California. But that's all I'll say. I don't abuse my powers like that. Normally I would PM someone who is posting garbage like this, but in this case enough people seem to be latching onto it as legitimate info, so I posted publicly.