Bronchial washings (right and left) in same container?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

time to move on

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When doing bronchial washings on right and left lungs, should these be sent to Pathology as separate specimens, labeled right and left?

Is it ever ok to send them in the same one?
 
Most of the time they are submitted separately in my experience but I have seen them submitted in the same container a few times.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The pulmonologist who was submitting them in the same container was a locum.

Guy was always asking for weird stuff as well, like hemosiderin-laden macrophages percentage etc. He was one of those really really old locums.
 
When doing bronchial washings on right and left lungs, should these be sent to Pathology as separate specimens, labeled right and left?

Is it ever ok to send them in the same one?
I guess if you don't care if you find malignant cells and have no idea what side they came from. I guess if they're looking for something infectious/inflammatory maybe it doesn't matter.
 
I guess if you don't care if you find malignant cells and have no idea what side they came from. I guess if they're looking for something infectious/inflammatory maybe it doesn't matter.
Great point. I do think they shouldn't make that kind of assumption though. Pathologists always find surprises.
 
I have never seen them separated. Interesting..I get "bronchial washings" as 1 spec and "bronchial aspirate" as 2nd spec.