Bronchial washings (right and left) in same container?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time to move on

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When doing bronchial washings on right and left lungs, should these be sent to Pathology as separate specimens, labeled right and left?

Is it ever ok to send them in the same one?

Members don't see this ad.

When doing bronchial washings on right and left lungs, should these be sent to Pathology as separate specimens, labeled right and left?

Garbage in, garbage out

Most of the time they are submitted separately in my experience but I have seen them submitted in the same container a few times.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pulmonologist who was submitting them in the same container was a locum.

Guy was always asking for weird stuff as well, like hemosiderin-laden macrophages percentage etc. He was one of those really really old locums.

I guess if you don't care if you find malignant cells and have no idea what side they came from. I guess if they're looking for something infectious/inflammatory maybe it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess if you don't care if you find malignant cells and have no idea what side they came from. I guess if they're looking for something infectious/inflammatory maybe it doesn't matter.
Great point. I do think they shouldn't make that kind of assumption though. Pathologists always find surprises.

I have seen combined but usually in cases where they are trying to maximize culture yield. The path might be secondary.

I have never seen them separated. Interesting..I get "bronchial washings" as 1 spec and "bronchial aspirate" as 2nd spec.