5 years until i apply..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mx41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Definately apply to more than just two schools. You will need backup just in case. It also looks bad in the interview if they ask you how many you applied to and you say two. My advice is this: go to a state school for undergrad and save yourself tons of money. Carry a 3.6+ at the state school and 20+ DAT (on top of shadowing, EC, community service, good LORs). You will be fine for most of the schools.

PS...this all might change 5 yrs from now. Who knows, by then you may need a 3.9+ and 23+ DAT, but I highly doubt that.

Hello

I am currently in High School and as you can tell I have a huge interest in the field of dentistry. When I do end up shadowing a dentist - I may or may not reconsider my career choice. But I just would like some advice for my situation that I most likely will encounter if I continue to pursue my dream of being a Dentist.
I live in the suburb of Chicago and after completing undergrand I do plan to apply for UIC (possibly SIU). That is or those are the only schools I wish to apply for. The reason being is because of my culture - being too far away from family is highly disliked.
Does anyone have advice for this type of situation? It is greatly appreciated.

check out the programs they offer at UOP, i believe they have a 5 year program right out of highschool for dentistry!!! and a 7 year program for ortho...

you'll 23 year old dentist, if your really set into doing dentistry out of high school>

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck i hope u make it to the school u want... racism sucks.

check out the programs they offer at UOP, i believe they have a 5 year program right out of highschool for dentistry!!! and a 7 year program for ortho...

you'll 23 year old dentist, if your really set into doing dentistry out of high school>

Ya I would look at that program if you are competitive enough. I knew I wanted to be a dentist for years even before High school and I wish I would have known about such programs (not that I was competitive enough to get in something like that) but either way...if I could go back and redo it all I would have worked my a$$ off to get in a program like that.

wow..this is the 2nd thread made by a high schooler interested in dentistry. I wish I was this goal oriented when I was 18. all i was doing at 18 was going crazy with my fake ID

My advice is stay in school, and don't use drugs....

Honestly, it's premature to worry about something that's in five years. Things could change a lot between now and then. Since you're in high school, now you feel the need to stay close to home. But in five years, you and your family may think differently. Besides, life rarely happens exactly the way we expect it to. If you have all your expectations set in concrete, it will be hard for you to handle the inevitable curve balls that will get thrown at you. Being able to adapt and accept change will keep you from stressing out and being too disappointed when things don't go exactly the way you want. And trust me, things won't always go according to plan because life just isn't like that. And the good thing is, sometimes the unexpected ends up being the best thing for you!

You really don't want to limit yourself to just two schools. There are a lot of schools in the Midwest that are only a few hours from Illinois. I have a feeling that after four years at college you will be less reluctant to leave home.

Just work hard in school, check on here every now and then for some free advice on how to best prepare to apply. SDN is a great community and resource.

Try to apply to combined BS/DDS or DMD programs-they have a bunch here in the northeast that my sister(whose your age) is applying to now.

To all of those accepted, this is a dream. Tomorrow you will wake up and find yourself in high school again. Have fun starting over.